Pairing call ducks

I think If I understand your question your wanting to know when to pair them up for breeding specific drakes to specific ducks correct?
I think that would depend on if you know approximately when your ducks will start laying.
I have one that starts laying as early as February. But your weather/light conditions in your area will make a difference when your breeding season starts. I believe I have been told that fertilisation can last for up to three weeks. So if your wanting to choose a specific drake to be the father I would say pair them up at least 4 weeks in advance from when you suspect they will start laying? :confused:
That is just my best guess. Maybe WV will have a better answer :)

Ah geez, I don’t really know the answer to that. I would think it could vary in different parts of the world? With my flock, the boys are fairly “amorous” all year, but less when in eclipse plumage in the summer. They get fairly aggressive as they come out of eclipse, so maybe that would be the best time? But I’ve always heard early spring when the girls start laying well is when they kinda naturally pick their mates. Mine are all together, so I’m just guessing.

@Pyxis @shawluvsbirds

Edit- just saw Shaw’s response before hitting reply lol

I think this is what I would do too.
I think a lot of folks let their flock mingle over the winter months when they aren't laying and then pair them up how they want for specific breeding purposes. I'm not sure how long before laying time this is recommended though. That's the part I'm guessing about. Maybe my call duck breed book would have a recommendation. I'll have to look. :)

I think a lot of folks let their flock mingle over the winter months when they aren't laying and then pair them up how they want for specific breeding purposes. I'm not sure how long before laying time this is recommended though. That's the part I'm guessing about. Maybe my call duck breed book would have a recommendation. I'll have to look. :)
Ducks are ducks no matter the breed.

I like your suggestion of pairing them up at least 4 weeks before they start to lay. Even earlier might be a good idea too.

Back
Top Bottom