Pale and dry comb

I have a hen currently that is in the same condition. She's one of the oldest in the flock, maybe eight or nine, and has been slowing down over a long period. But I've been trying all of the basic measures just in case it's something she can recover from. First it was a yeasty crop, then she refused to eat. I treated those, and nothing has made a difference. I'm now giving her an antibiotic, but I have the feeling that she's in general organ failure and nothing will make a difference.

I suggest you try the tube feeding on the chance that it can help turn your hen around. At least then if it doesn't help, you will have the comfort of knowing you tried everything. Get the tube and syringe and I'll give you easy instructions how to go about tubing your first time.

I have a hen currently that is in the same condition. She's one of the oldest in the flock, maybe eight or nine, and has been slowing down over a long period. But I've been trying all of the basic measures just in case it's something she can recover from. First it was a yeasty crop, then she refused to eat. I treated those, and nothing has made a difference. I'm now giving her an antibiotic, but I have the feeling that she's in general organ failure and nothing will make a difference.

I suggest you try the tube feeding on the chance that it can help turn your hen around. At least then if it doesn't help, you will have the comfort of knowing you tried everything. Get the tube and syringe and I'll give you easy instructions how to go about tubing your first time.
Thank you. We live in the mountains and supply options are limited. I will see if any vets have the feeding kits. I’m so sorry about your hen😞 I didn’t know hens can live that long!

Thank you. We live in the mountains and supply options are limited. I will see if any vets have the feeding kits. I’m so sorry about your hen😞 I didn’t know hens can live that long!
Healthy hens can live into their teens. I currently have a 7- almost 8-year-old who still lays eggs. Breeds that were not bred to produce 300+ eggs per year live longer.

RIP Waffles. She had a good life and is no longer suffering. I am heartbroken but that just comes with the territory of loving animals🥹 Thank you all who helped me through this. I wil be forever grateful🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2290.jpeg
    IMG_2290.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 12
I read this thread at first just to hear about what was happing to deepen my knowledge of chicken illnesses. And I read all four pages and now I’m crying so hard. Rest in peace Waffles. 🐓

Molt can affect some chickens as seriously as an illness. Most suffer a decrease in appetite, but occasionally one will stop eating all together. I have one in my flock right now that has quit eating, lost half her body weight, and was beginning to fade. Yesterday, I intervened and tube fed her some raw egg, pureed Fancy Feast beef, Nutri-drench , a dash of baby cereal, and a teaspoon of sugar. It revived her almost miraculously, but she still refuses to eat, so she will get another tube feeding in the morning.

There is a chance your hen has an infection, but it's too soon to jump to that diagnosis. Sometimes just a little sugar in the water can bounce a chicken back to normal. I'd try that. Also, I can't recommend Poultry Nutri-drench highly enough. Get some.
Raisins, too are a good tonic for sickly weak hens and they will often eat them even if they want nothing else. It’s important to just get some energy into them, sugar in the drinking water is great, too.

Hi. My 2.5 year old hen is ill but I can’t figure it out. She’s slow, lethargic and won’t eat. I see her drinking water though. Her comb is not the usual bright red and it looks dry. She has poop stuck to her butt feathers and some white drippings. Her vent looks good. I see her drinking water though. We have isolated her and I will give her nutrí drench I’m the morning. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I’m still new at this and I just want to help her😞 Thank you
Epsom salt bath revived my chicken that was like that!

Back
Top Bottom