Pale comb and not foraging/eating/drinking

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
We have a 1 yr old Black Australorp Hen. She seemed fine yesterday. Eating, foraging and layed an egg. Today she is just laying down and not moving much. Her comb is a little shrunk and lighter than normal. I'm not experienced but her crop feels the same as the other hens though her abdomen/back end seems a little softer. Vent looks the same as others. She feels a bit lighter but not super skinny. When I hold her and kinda feel around her abdomen area when I set her down she had explosive watery poops twice and the third time it was less. See pics below. And she is doing a slight opening of her mouth periodically which I have a video of. I cannot visually see anything with my inexperienced eyes. Anything else I should be checking for? Is comparing her to the other black australorp or Isa brown not a good indicator of anything? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Edit to add a pic of her stance

https://youtube.com/shorts/I4z9hsXMKLM

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_190145879.jpg
    PXL_20210404_190145879.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20210404_212731160.jpg
    PXL_20210404_212731160.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20210404_215021406.jpg
    PXL_20210404_215021406.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 1
Here is another poo she just had. We collected it to bring in for a fecal exam tomorrow morning. She is holding her own for now so.....🤞

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210404-193145.png
    Screenshot_20210404-193145.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
Here is another poo she just had. We collected it to bring in for a fecal exam tomorrow morning. She is holding her own for now so.....🤞
How is she now? I have a hen of the same breed and she is having the same symptoms along with the same type of droppings as you showed.

@fatimastic She is back to normal. We did nothing. And when we had the chance to bring in the sample she had already made such improvement we decided not to. Still not sure what happened. But since none of the other hens had any similar symptoms we chalked it up to an experience she encountered or something upset her stomach and had to work itself through. In total she was like this for 24-36 hrs. I really hope it's the same for you! But if it's not cleared up quick and she turns for the worse more experience will be needed. I'm lacking in that area.

EDIT:
Actually, I take that back! When I would feel her belly and pelvic area it somehow triggered a bowel movement for her. I did it about 3 times in total so that might have helped move things!

@fatimastic She is back to normal. We did nothing. And when we had the chance to bring in the sample she had already made such improvement we decided not to. Still not sure what happened. But since none of the other hens had any similar symptoms we chalked it up to an experience she encountered or something upset her stomach and had to work itself through. In total she was like this for 24-36 hrs. I really hope it's the same for you! But if it's not cleared up quick and she turns for the worse more experience will be needed. I'm lacking in that area.

EDIT:
Actually, I take that back! When I would feel her belly and pelvic area it somehow triggered a bowel movement for her. I did it about 3 times in total so that might have helped move things!
I am glad that your hen is back to normal!

It can be painful to see them suffer. Also, did her abdomen feel bloated?

I am glad that your hen is back to normal!

It can be painful to see them suffer. Also, did her abdomen feel bloated?

I was checking for an egg but it just felt squishy. I compared her to the other hens and they felt the same. I'm sorry I cannot help much, I am truly inexperienced when it comes to any illness for my girls.

Back
Top Bottom