Pale comb and waddles but it comes and goes.

TikkiMasalaMama

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
Olive is our 1 yr old hen Dominiquer. We have noticed recently that her comb and waddles go pale when picked up. The paleness starts at the base and spreads. Other wise it seems to be normal color.

We are going to deworm and use DE regularly in the bedding but my also do a topical treatment for mite/lice etc.

My Daughter and I are wanting to know if there could be another cause seeing as it is intermittent.

Help and advice much appreciated :)

Attachments

• 014D00DC-4185-4E56-BA68-02C9D06B33B0.jpeg
    014D00DC-4185-4E56-BA68-02C9D06B33B0.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 8979CDF2-C5E4-4A9F-A542-5F4C38C9890C.jpeg
    8979CDF2-C5E4-4A9F-A542-5F4C38C9890C.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 9
No actually she seems quite fine in every way even respiratory wise. And the DE is just precautionary on our party added to bedding from time to time. But thought if it had to do with lice or fleas it’d help. I’m wondering if it could just be a mood thing? She tends to be sweet but very cautious and finicky.

I appreciate you reaching out. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. We have had our hands full with our newest addition. :)

No actually she seems quite fine in every way even respiratory wise. And the DE is just precautionary on our party added to bedding from time to time. But thought if it had to do with lice or fleas it’d help. I’m wondering if it could just be a mood thing? She tends to be sweet but very cautious and finicky.

I appreciate you reaching out. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. We have had our hands full with our newest addition. :)
It could be stress related if she doesn't like being picked up.

My Dominiques like to be around my feet and chat a lot, but they are not that fond of being touched.

Thank you all for your advice.

It definitely seems to just be stress of being picked up lol. Like me with socializing as an introvert. ;p

She does love to hop on and cuddle in the lap, just on her terms and no other touching. A bit like a farm cat. 😂

Blessings to you all, family and the flocks

Does she seem to have an respiratory distress when you pick her up?

DE is not really necessary, it's just dirt, if she has access to dirt outside in her yard or run to dust bath, that should be sufficient.
Hey my girl has a pale comb and I feel like she might have respiratory distress when I pick her up. What’s wrong? I’m going to get a topical treatment for lice as a precaution and will start a de worming meds tomorrow incase it’s worms. I saw a post below that said DE can cause respiratory distress ( I added that to their dust bath two days ago), maybe this is causing?

Hey my girl has a pale comb and I feel like she might have respiratory distress when I pick her up. What’s wrong? I’m going to get a topical treatment for lice as a precaution and will start a de worming meds tomorrow incase it’s worms. I saw a post below that said DE can cause respiratory distress ( I added that to their dust bath two days ago), maybe this is causing?
If the respiratory distress seems to have started after the DE, that could very well be causing the issue. It could also be the way you're picking her up, if it only happens then. It could be a combination of those, or it could be other things as well. I would definitely start by removing the DE, though, just to rule that out as a potential cause.

Olive is our 1 yr old hen Dominiquer. We have noticed recently that her comb and waddles go pale when picked up. The paleness starts at the base and spreads. Other wise it seems to be normal color.

We are going to deworm and use DE regularly in the bedding but my also do a topical treatment for mite/lice etc.

My Daughter and I are wanting to know if there could be another cause seeing as it is intermittent.

Help and advice much appreciated :)

I think it can be a stress response. I've noticed that some of mine have gone pale in the past, when I had picked them up and was treating them for bumblefoot. They were clearly in pain and stressed at the time, and they don't go pale when I pick them up otherwise, so that's my best guess.

Welcome To BYC

Does your hen have lice?
You mention she's having respiratory distress - can you get a video of her actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Did she start to have respiratory symptoms after you added the DE to the dust bathing area?

Back
Top Bottom