Pale comb and weight loss

Apr 9, 2018
Here's my black sex link whose comb is turning lighter every day. She eats and hangs out with the flock. I noticed that her neck look skinnier. She is 9 months old and is laying eggs 4x a week. I'm worried that I'm missing something. Any advice is appreciated.
Screenshot_20181108-194222_Gallery.jpg

Oh, those jet black feathers! So pretty!

She could be heading into a mini molt. Do you see any of her feathers around?
I thought the same about a mini molt too. Happened with my Ancona pullet. Eggs everywhere, huge floppy comb then bam, comb shrinks and pales, feathers look off, earlobe color strange and no eggs.
Now she is back to normal, well, fairly. Her comb isn't as large as it used to be, probably for the better because of cold winters here.

She looks rather round in your photo. Is she fat? Can you feel her keel bone easily? Runs up the chest. Could be she's taking a break from laying. Combs shrink down, and lighten up when they stop laying.
I will try to feel for the keel bone. This is my first year of raising chickens starting from chicks so I'm not quite sure what to expect the first year. Thanks so much for the input.

Chickens don't carry their fat anywhere but in their body cavity clustered tightly around the vent. It is highly unlikely that a hen will display a double chin.
Makes sense. It seems like her feathers may have thinned out around the neck area from just a month ago. Thanks for your input.

I thought the same about a mini molt too. Happened with my Ancona pullet. Eggs everywhere, huge floppy comb then bam, comb shrinks and pales, feathers look off, earlobe color strange and no eggs.
Now she is back to normal, well, fairly. Her comb isn't as large as it used to be, probably for the better because of cold winters here.
Ok this made me feel better. I was worried that she was sick. My first year raising from the chick stage. I live near the central coastline and early morning temps dip down to 43 degees. I'm hoping that's the case here. Thank you for your input.

Back
Top Bottom