Pale comb/face and moves slowly/doesn't move

SpringwoodLakeHomestead

Hatching
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
I just brought home two Cuckoo Marans and as soon as I got them home, I couldn't help but notice how pale their combs/faces were compared to my other chickens. I don't know if it's because they're molting or something. They're very young pullets, between 8-16 weeks old (the lady had a bunch of them and said these two were closest to laying age). The lady said that she could tell they were closest to laying age because of the paleness, not sure what that meant.

When I let them out, they wouldn't move - I had to nudge them. I put the feed/water in front of them - they both didn't act interested in it.

I don't know if I'm over-thinking things or not but when I nudged one of them, it didn't run. Instead, it slowly moved, maybe hobbled away? Maybe I'm just paranoid but should I worry? I just looked up Marek's disease symptoms and now I am very paranoid because one of the symptoms says pale comb.

I could take pictures tomorrow because I'll have a camera then.

Closer to lay time should mean thier Combs would get redder not paler.. PLease say you have them quaruntined??? I am gonna bump this so others who know moer can help..

Start up the kool-aid water (electrolytes & vitamins - I like Poultry Pack but there are also products for cattle, etc... turns the water yellow.) Also boil a couple of eggs, mash them up and see if you can get these girls to eat them - easy for them to digest and quick warm protein.

Maybe they got chilled on the way home?? Lord, I don't know but it sounds like you gotta get them propped up and then figure out the real problem and address it.

Marek's seems pretty remote. I had a couple of thoughts. They might have be apprehensive about the new surroundings and that affects their behavior and mood - and it seems like that might affect their combs. Still think temp might have affected them.

Could be she had them on a lower quality feed or even just a different feed. Also, there's a HUGE difference between an 8 week old and a 16 week old. Marans aren't going to start kicking out eggs until at least 20 weeks, maybe longer if they haven't had perfect conditions - difficult to attain during the winter.

Give them a bit of time and for the sake of your other birds keep them separated - most importantly don't let them share water, food dishes, or "barn dirt". Sorry. I know that's a totally monumental task if you don't have the facility.

Next post - things you can do to help protect your existing flock from getting sick in case quarantine isn't possible (or maybe even if it is...).

Each flock of birds has it's own unique history of the encountered pathogens and immune system strengths and weaknesses. When birds move from one flock to another they encounter and introduce chronic pathogens, parasites, and so on.

Give your new and old birds' immune systems tools to help them past this surge of challenges by doing three things.

1 - Everyone needs to be drinking the vitamin supplemented water for a week or so. I like Poultry Pac but there's other stuff out there also in yellow packaging. Costs about $5. I use about 1/4 tsp in a gallon of water.

2 - Everyone needs a protein boost for a few days....I like the boiled eggs mashed into the feed since I usually have a surplus of eggs. You could also put them on a "Gamebird" feed for a while. I have my chickens on Gamebird throughout the winter.

3 - Give everyone a round of ivemectin water to kill off potential worms and lice. You have to do it again in 10 days to kill off the lice that may have hatched since the first dose. For overkill you could do it a third time too. I use 1 tsp/gallon IVER-ON (Ivermectin Pour-on for Cattle 5 mg ivermectin/ml) I buy the 8.5 fluid oz bottles in the locked cabinet at the farm store, & costs about $15.

4 - Think about adding a general antibiotic to the water for a few days. I myself haven't had much luck thwarting yicky stuff this way because a lot of little viruses are running around out there totally unfettered by antibiotics. The only thing we can do to help our birds survive them is to give their immune systems as much umph as possible.

One poop was reddish, some of them are white.. They are kind of runny. When I went to pick them up, they were in a cage, in the sunlight. I'm not sure how cold it needs to be for them to get chilled. I'm in Washington state and the weather here is mild. Lots of rain but the last few days it was sunny. It is very beautiful today, not cold outside but they insist on staying in the small duck/chicken house in that pen.

I have wazine, would that work instead of ivermic?

They are in a different area that I penned off, so they are separated from my flock.

Also boil a couple of eggs, mash them up and see if you can get these girls to eat them - easy for them to digest and quick warm protein.

Does that mean hard boil? I'll do that today.

I found this picture online - one of them looks a lot like this, feather-wise (and comb too):
2515171264_ebd29a38a0.jpg

Today is day two. Both actually got out of the pen (I can't figure out how but they did) and ventured into the woods behind the property, we found them pretty quickly with the help of our dog.

Both seem more lively and were eating/foraging. Didn't show too much interest in our feed so we supplemented with grit and cracked corn. They seemed more interested in foraging. Their feathers are dirty and they smell bad. I wonder if the lady had them in a very dirty chicken coop before we got them. When I picked one up and turned it on its back, its veel bone was sticking out. I think it's kind of skinny... So we're headed to the feed store today to get Poultry Pac (or any vitamin supplements the store has).

I agree with all the good advice given. I have some cuckoo marans about the age of the picture that you found on line their combs are about that color and have been since they were little. I had them since they were a week old. They are now around 19 wks old combs are starting to turn some but still funny grayish on top but eating like pigs and doing well in the big girl coop. So going to keep an eye on this thread in case there is something to be concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom