Pale comb, listless hen

Momof8chicks

Songster
May 21, 2020
We have a 7 month old hen who started with a pale comb over the weekend. She was our 1st layer so I thought she may be ready to molt and just getting pale comb from that. The weather has been cold at night and hot during the day. Up until today she was pecking and scratching and eating like normal with all the other girls. My daughter went out to see the girls and found her laying in the run and thought she was dead. She is not, but she is not well for sure. Her crop is empty, she is not egg bound. We think she even laid earlier today. We have 7 other hens. None of the others are showing signs of illness. No injuries. She eats very little. We gave her some scrambled eggs. She ate a few bites. Her poop is white and runny. We have no vets in our area who treat chickens, sadly. So we have to do everything ourselves.
We have recently had very heavy rains. We just went to the store and got more DE as ours has washed away. We also just picked up Safeguard. I was planning on giving her a bath and coating her in DE and then trying dewormer but I'm not sure. She is super weak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have a 7 month old hen who started with a pale comb over the weekend. She was our 1st layer so I thought she may be ready to molt and just getting pale comb from that. The weather has been cold at night and hot during the day. Up until today she was pecking and scratching and eating like normal with all the other girls. My daughter went out to see the girls and found her laying in the run and thought she was dead. She is not, but she is not well for sure. Her crop is empty, she is not egg bound. We think she even laid earlier today. We have 7 other hens. None of the others are showing signs of illness. No injuries. She eats very little. We gave her some scrambled eggs. She ate a few bites. Her poop is white and runny. We have no vets in our area who treat chickens, sadly. So we have to do everything ourselves.
We have recently had very heavy rains. We just went to the store and got more DE as ours has washed away. We also just picked up Safeguard. I was planning on giving her a bath and coating her in DE and then trying dewormer but I'm not sure. She is super weak.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you’ve had a ton of rain and it’s been humid during the day, I would suspect worms.

This is Hallie.
2C9841FD-6FF8-48D5-B256-B193A3F7D6E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom