Pale Combs, Happy CHickens

ExtraElbows

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 22, 2018
SE Michigan
Hi there!

I have a 4 orpington chickens, 2 are older (still less than a year) and bigger, and 2 that I recently introduced to the flock in September who are a few months younger. I got the new birds because a dog killed one of my previous flock and I thought 2 wouldn't be enough to keep warm over the winter.

My hens were laying before the dog attack, but stopped. One of my new birds was laying when I got her, but has stopped. I have also noticed an uptick in feathers in the coop, as well as changing combs on my older birds - sometimes very pale, sometimes bright red. They did the comb change before the new hens as well, I thought they looked redder when they were laying.

Do you think my birds are sick? Everyone is eating, playing, preening. Is it just all the newness?

I have also noticed an uptick in feathers in the coop, as well as changing combs on my older birds
Molting, look for new pin feathers growing in...pale combs because they are not laying.
Stress from attack and move can trigger a molt and/or cessation of lay in even younger birds.
Shortening of days can slow/stop laying even without a molt.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-17_9-29-19.png

Back
Top Bottom