Pale Face and Comb

Sep 22, 2020
Hello,

I recently went away and left my three in the care of someone else. I have a blind rooster so with me, he was given constant care around the clock.

I'm not sure exactly what measures were taken while I was away for 2.5 weeks but I have noticed my blind rooster (about 3 years old) has an extremely pale face now.

There are several factors to consider.

1)They went on a stressful journey in the mail for 2 days. (3.5 weeks ago)

2)They changed climate from the Caribbean weather to cold Wisconsin (they have a constant heater that keeps the temp around 75ish degrees, but the air is not as humid and while I was away, i dont think the temp was monitored as closely). This affects my older rooster more because he spent his whole life wild in the Caribbean weather. My other two are young and adaptable.

3) The food has changed. I purchased several options from walmart so that there was no concern while I was away. They now have dehydrated worms in the diet and I've always given tomatoes and pumpkin, scratch and a mix of other chicken feed.

4) My constant care was gone for 2.5 weeks and so food and water consumption might have been low. Maybe this is a symptom of dehydration or of malnuritionment. Or maybe he was shocked by the temp change.

- I'm not sure what would cause pale coloring. Maybe some lack of vitamins? Maybe he isnt getting enough sun light? Should I incorporate more greens into their diet and especially my rooster?

Or is this a larger issue, old age? Stress? Maybe the same issue that cause him to go blind? Should I take him to a vet?

Today I was making sure he was drinking enough water and after he finished he seemed to be very out of it. I dont know if water got into his nasal area but he was breathing with a slightly patted mouth in a lathargic way. I have noticed after he drinks water he will sneeze the water away but today he didnt do that. He just seemed tired.

I'm concerned he could be getting ready to pass away.

Thanks for the advice!

They went on a stressful journey in the mail for 2 days. (3.5 weeks ago)
They went on a stressful journey in the mail for 2 days. (3.5 weeks ago)
my blind rooster (about 3 years old) has an extremely pale face now.
My constant care was gone for 2.5 weeks and so food and water consumption might have been low. Maybe this is a symptom of dehydration or of malnuritionment. Or maybe he was shocked by the temp change.
Today I was making sure he was drinking enough water and after he finished he seemed to be very out of it. I dont know if water got into his nasal area but he was breathing with a slightly patted mouth in a lathargic way. I have noticed after he drinks water he will sneeze the water away
Can you post some photos of him and his poop?

You mention that he was having difficulty after you made sure he was drinking - how do you give him water?

A lot of things can go wrong. His trip was 3.5wks ago, but he may still be suffering from some stress.
I would try adding some poultry vitamins to his water and encourage him to eat.

How is he housed now - does he have access to dirt?

"Can you post some photos of him and his poop?"
Photos attached. His poop seems good. But you tell me what you think. They are various hours old.

When I first took him in he had runny poop that was only green liquid goo and worms (naturally). After the first two weeks he became much more regular and no more runny poo. But I noticed his poop was always much more green than my other two. Not sure why. (They ate the same food)

He also had lice (I believe it was) I gave him a natural dip (all 3 of them) in a solution of soap, vinegar, and salt. It worked really well. That was in the Caribbean.

"You mention that he was having difficulty after you made sure he was drinking - how do you give him water?"

He drinks from a shallow bowl. I place the bowls in front of him and tap it. If he wants to drink he does. I'm not sure if there is another method but chicken feeders would be complicated being that he cant see and in the wild he just drank from puddles and ate insects. I dont allow it to be too full that he dunks his head. Maybe I can just try a lower level of water. I was just worried the weird behavior after drinking could be a symptom of something else.

I want to make his life good and happy. I dont want it to suck. If I would have left him in the wild instead, the day I rescued him, then he would have died. They were killing him. So if I can provide a good safe life for him I'd like to. But I also dont want my good effort to be more harmful than I realize. (I've attached pictures of the first day I found him screaming in the woods. Here you can see how bright his face is. So I am lacking something 😔.)

"A lot of things can go wrong. His trip was 3.5wks ago, but he may still be suffering from some stress.
I would try adding some poultry vitamins to his water and encourage him to eat."

Is there a mix for all or do you recommend specific vitamins. Maybe something that would help with energy?

"How is he housed now - does he have access to dirt?"

A coop is being built for them and by next week it should be ready to go. I have two very large (temporary) cages. I keep them side by side for socializing but I seperate the blind rooster because they pick at him and they make him nervous. They have perches in the cages and areas to step up. Lots of room to walk around but during my waking hours I let them walk around the garage (4 car garage) except the blind rooster stays in the warmth. He doesnt do much currently but I want to provide him with an area similar to the ca

My current living space doesnt allow for me to have the blind rooster inside with me (thats probably not normal but whatever). But in the Caribbean I had him within my sight always. I still spend a lot of time with them. I am always checking on him to encourage eating and seeing what he needs. (I'm not working right now)

Currently no dirt access since its 40 degrees or less each day. But in the new coop I can incorporate a dirt box for bathing.

Before we left the Caribbean he bathed outside in the dirt for the first time since I had him. I was overjoyed to see him finding his way back to taking care of himself and enjoying himself.

The close up picture of food is his current mix of food. I assume he ate more leaves and greens in the wild. So I'm not sure if I should push more lettuce and plants.
I want to give them everything they need and deserve so any advice is helpful.

Attachments

• 20201027_155657.jpg
    20201027_155657.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201027_160428.jpg
    20201027_160428.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20201027-174337_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-174337_Photos.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20201027-174310_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-174310_Photos.jpg
    802.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20201027-174544_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-174544_Photos.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20201027_165953.jpg
    20201027_165953.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 6
I accidentally sent it and forgot to finish that part.
Similar to the***

Similar to the Caribbean environment he was in. Some plant life and grass so that he is less confused. Also the air is much dryer up here. I'm not sure if incorporating a humidifier is beneficial.

@azygous
@Wyorp Rock

I remember reading your story a while back! You finally got them and yourself home, that's great. I'm sorry to hear your roo isn't doing so hot. I'm sure that was quite the journey for them.

Yes they made it. Thank God. It was such a stressful two days for all of us. I cried at the post office when they told me they shipped them to the wrong place. And I then kindly but firmly demanded them to be directly delivered to me (or the house, because I was leaving the country). They were trying to tell me it would take another full day. I said absolutely not. The chickens arrived 2 hours later. It was rough. But here they are. My two young ones are doing well. But my blind guy might need a check up.

Is there a list on here that recommends vets for chickens?

When I first took him in he had runny poop that was only green liquid goo and worms (naturally)
Is there a mix for all or do you recommend specific vitamins. Maybe something that would help with energy?
The close up picture of food is his current mix of food. I assume he ate more leaves and greens in the wild. So I'm not sure if I should push more lettuce and plants.
How long have you had him now?
He is pale, but he also have some new feathers coming in around his head so he may be molting too - hard to tell.
I would provide him with Poultry Cell a couple of times a week.
What percent protein is the mix of food? It's probably o.k. but he may benefit from some extra protein. You can do that with Chick Starter, eggs, meat, fish.
You may want to provide grit (crushed granite) free choice as well since he's caged and not on the ground. Likely in the wild he was finding a suitable source, but they need grit to process that corn, seeds, etc.

Poop looks o.k. maybe a tad dry. He may not be drinking enough.

He's handsome! Hopefully he will start to show signs of improvement.

Back
Top Bottom