1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Hi, I noticed today that my hen's face looks a little pale. Other than that she seems fine. I'm wondering if she might have mites. We did have mites a while ago but I stopped treating them for it about a month ago. It's winter here now and maybe the cold is creating this? I'm not sure. Let me know your thoughts.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes mites can cause pallor. It's easy to check for mites just as she is on the roost in the evening, look all over but sepecially under the vent next to skin. 5% Sevin dust or permethrin dust or spray will treat it. Other causes could molting, coccidosis, or worms.

3. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    If she is missing feathers by her vent, does that mean she has mites? I can't get a good look at her until tomorrow.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not necessarily. You will see the mite eggs and some mites will only get on the birds at night after dark. Missing feathers around the vent can mean feather picking, vent gleet, among other things. Here is some info on mites and pictures to differentiate from lice: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

5. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    Thank you. I will check her out more tomorrow when I have time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by