Pale Floppy Comb

Jackie FL

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
I have 2 Golden Comets, one is fine and produces 1 egg a day, however the other one stopped laying and her comb has gotten very pale. Both have been wormed and checked for mites and lice and no sign of either. Lilly the one that has stopped laying (for a while now) eats well, drinks well and acts normal but appears to have diarrhea. I'm at a loss as what to do for her. The comb use to be up but now flops over and keeps getting paler and paler. She was my double yoker producer at one time. They will be 2 in March. I do clean the coop daily and their feed has been the same right along no changes there. Any help will be appreciated!

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium member
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
Have you checked for worms? Might she be molting ? Day light photo period affects hormone levels, and it is not unusual for 2 year old hens to take a break and show signs of lowered hormones. Red sex links can be prone to reproductive tract problems, but it does not sound as if that is what she is dealing with.

nchls school

Crowing
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
A pale comb can mean illness, but not always; hens not in laying condition get a pale comb. I see this in broody hens and hens with chicks. Keep an eye on her though. As for diarrhea-again a sign of sickness, but not always. What are the hens eating? Watery foods cause runny droppings. If the droppings are sticky, wet and soil/stick to the vent feathers-you have a sick bird.

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
Premium member
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
eats well, drinks well and acts normal but appears to have diarrhea

Acting normal is a good sign. A pale comb can be indicative of many different things, some relatively normal, some not so much. All of my girls had pale combs all winter and the ones who have started laying again (or are close to it) have gotten red again.

Here is the POOP CHART which may help you identify the problem, or at least rule out some possibilities.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Is she losing feathers, are there lots of feathers in the coop?

Can you feel her crop before bed when she is on the roost and then again in morning BEFORE she has access to food and water? Let us know what you find.

Jackie FL

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
eats well, drinks well and acts normal but appears to have diarrhea

Acting normal is a good sign. A pale comb can be indicative of many different things, some relatively normal, some not so much. All of my girls had pale combs all winter and the ones who have started laying again (or are close to it) have gotten red again.

Here is the POOP CHART which may help you identify the problem, or at least rule out some possibilities.

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Is she losing feathers, are there lots of feathers in the coop?

Can you feel her crop before bed when she is on the roost and then again in morning BEFORE she has access to food and water? Let us know what you find.
No she is not losing feathers, already went through molt. Thanks so much for the POOP CHART it did help rule out some things. Will try to feel her crop in the a.m.

Jackie FL

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
A pale comb can mean illness, but not always; hens not in laying condition get a pale comb. I see this in broody hens and hens with chicks. Keep an eye on her though. As for diarrhea-again a sign of sickness, but not always. What are the hens eating? Watery foods cause runny droppings. If the droppings are sticky, wet and soil/stick to the vent feathers-you have a sick bird.

Eating same feed they always have, nothing changed there. Not feeding anything new or different. Not broody at all. Really strange. Have given her a "spa" treatment because of a dirty looking bum. It wasn't wet or anything just needed cleaning up because of dried guck on it. Thanks for your reply.

Top Bottom