Pale Rooster

you were right it is definitely mites! I can not see them , but now the hens are losing feathers . I hope my rooster is not too far gone. I have bought poultry and garden powder. Can I use it in the bedding too. I feed then in their hutch. Will the eggs be ok to eat?

yes you can dust the bedding. As far as I know, you need to clear out the coop and dust all over the inside as well, especially the roost. Go up to the search bar at the top of the page and search "how to get rid of mites in coop" and you should find some pretty good info. The powder is not absorbed through the chickens skin, so it will still be safe to eat the eggs as long as you thoroughly clean the outside before cracking it open :)

Mites can be very, very hard to get rid of. You will need to treat birds and premesis every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing them. It's best to completely strip the coop and spray it down with something like Sevin, that will get into all the nooks and crannies much better then dusting will. Then put down new bedding and sprinkle it with the dust.

As far as deworming the flock... some of the most effective products are Valbazen and Safeguard. Rotating between products helps prevent parasite resistence. Dose is 1/2 cc for standard size birds 1/4 cc for bantams. Repeat in 10 days. I deworm young birds around 6 months the first time and then it's twice a year after that. How young and how often you deworm depends on your climate. Warmer/wetter means more parasites and more need for control. Colder or dryer equals less.

Lost the rooster he had become too thin by the time I fiqured out the problem. Cleaned the coop, dusted the birds, dusted the coop. Hens are finally able to free range and do lots of sand dusting( snow finally left this week) Hope I can keep on top of this.

Mites can be very, very hard to get rid of. You will need to treat birds and premesis every 7 to 10 days until you stop seeing them. It's best to completely strip the coop and spray it down with something like Sevin, that will get into all the nooks and crannies much better then dusting will. Then put down new bedding and sprinkle it with the dust.

As far as deworming the flock... some of the most effective products are Valbazen and Safeguard. Rotating between products helps prevent parasite resistence. Dose is 1/2 cc for standard size birds 1/4 cc for bantams. Repeat in 10 days. I deworm young birds around 6 months the first time and then it's twice a year after that. How young and how often you deworm depends on your climate. Warmer/wetter means more parasites and more need for control. Colder or dryer equals less.
Use Frontline spray it’s the best for mites and any external pests. Had an outside bird sent to me once and he was infested with mites, I tried everything and they’d be back in a week. Used the frontline 1 time a quick spray at the vent and under arms and haven’t had one since and this has been years ago. The stuffs expensive but worth it

Back
Top Bottom