Pallet coop plans on MPC

TLM

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I was thinking the same thing. Buy the plans for inspiration and go from there, possibly using some materials I already have.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm going to purchase the plans.

neat, im trying to find a way to make a coop in my garage with a run outside, this looks easy and i know where to get pallets.

I bought the plans but have not attempted to construct anything as of yet.
The one con I found was trying to find pallets! I thought they were free but you cannot find them anywhere.
Everyone sends them back to the manufacturer. I would check pallet availability first, but the plans look pretty great to me!

I saw the same plans on mypetchicken and was seriously considering getting them but I wasn't sure about pallets. I've seen a lot on Craigslist. Also, after looking at the sheds on http://www.oklahomahistory.net/palletshed.html I started to google other sites.

This site http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/06/24/woodworking-with-pallets-a-guide-to-finding-breaking-down-and-building-with-pallets/
gave
some ticklers on the types of businesses that may have pallets.

1) tile stores
2) heavy equipment repair depots
3) machinery dealers
4) Motorcycle dealers
5) Snowmobile dealers
6) Major appliance dealers
7) Tool & die shops
8) Machine shops
9) Paint stores
10) Brickyards
11) Custom window & door builders
12) Electrical supply houses

Stores like Walmart use a pallet service – in other words, they want their pallets back. It’s likely too that they’re building pallets out of very very very cheap pine. You don’t want those.

As a general rule, ask before you take pallets that aren’t leaning up against a dumpster. If they’re piled by the side of a building and you’re pawing through them you’re probably stealing. Just make sure you ask before you take anything.

Quote:
Finding Pallets can be a problem, I made a compost bin out of some pallets a few weeks ago. I would suggest you check craigslist there are a lot of business that want to get them out of there area so check there. Another place I found some great pallets was at a nursery. Got some great pallets made from solid oak, they had them left over from landscaping rocks. But as someone stated above a lot of places go with the pallet deposit system, just got to hunt around, but you will find some.

Back
Top Bottom