Pallet coop- tips and ideas needed!

Good luck. I tried to rip apart two pallets a couple of weeks ago and the supports in the middle were the only three pieces that were salvageable. I pretty much destroyed the rest of the slats. :/
I built a pallet coop and run with an extension this summer using a lot of scrap wood, construction waste and old used 2 x 4's .It took a lot of pallets and framing. If you will take the time to watch videos on youtube you will find a lot of people have shared videos there with step by step instructions on how to make a chicken coop. Looks aren't as important as it being built good to protect your flock from predators and shelter them in bad weather .
It must have good ventilation or your chickens will have respiratory issues and get diseases and die. You want your chickens to be warm and dry without being crowded so aim higher and make it bigger is my suggestion. Chickens need 4 square foot per bird minimum but I would double that because they'll be happier and it will be easier to clean. If you want a coop for 12 or more chickens out of pallets I suggest you design it in such a way to make it easier. 2 pallets wide x 2 pallets long (8 x 8=64 divided by 4 sq ft per bird =16 chickens)

Attachments

• WP_20210415_16_17_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210415_16_17_56_Pro.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 20
Will you be using pallets in their current state? Or will you be using the wood from the pallets?

There's lots of people who say they've built a pallet coop but all it is is just the scrap wood from a broken up pallet.

Both ways are equally as good in my opinion but it's often really difficult to break up pallets without them splitting and just turning into useless bits of broken wood.

Because whole pallets are so strong, it might be a good idea to make the shape/frame from them.
I've used them to make firewood stores before. They're so useful!

Back
Top Bottom