Panic. Hot chicken.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamau, Aug 31, 2013.

1. mamau

mamau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Just went out to check chickens. It is a very hot day. One got caught in wire. She is panting & listing sideways. Wants to move but floppy. I got her wet, hand trickled water to her, she drank, & put a fan in the coop. Anything else I can do? Very new chicken lover. Totally clueless.

2. mamau

mamau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Well, I also laid her on an ice pack. Just checked back on her. She is now standing on her own but still wobbly. I treated her like I have done for mammal animals.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. mamau

mamau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Just checked again. She is doing much better! Still panting but not as wobbly. Do you think she will make it?

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from a fellow Kansan, mamau, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Hot day is right - the humidity out there is a crazy!! Looks like if we can just get through today, relief is on the way. I've had the same thing happen to members of my flock - I've cooled them off slowly and they've been okay. Sounds like you've done everything alright. Good luck to you!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Watch her carefully she will remain more susceptible to heat prostration in the future.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] could you put out a water mister - some chickens like it - some don't - or have shallow pans of water - some birds like to stand in it. The need shade, shade and more shade, man made or natural.

8. mamau

mamau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Unfortunately she didn't make it. I'm glad I did what I could. I don't know how long she was stuck under that wire. We are going to get rid of that spot as soon as we can. The rest seem to be doing ok. I keep the water on w a leaky hose that they always have fresh cold water during the day & a pan in the coop at night. Thx for the reply.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry you lost your chicken. [​IMG]

10. mamau

mamau Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Goofy birds are free range w a coop @ night. I don't know what she was doing under that wire!!! She has wonderful lilac bushes to hide under.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by