Panic is starting to set in...

Unless you were really rough with the eggs when candling, you didn't do anything wrong. Get a really strong flashlight with super bright LED bulbs and do it in a totally dark room. Don't rotate the egg...just the flashlight. Hold it underneath, covering the light with your thumb and forefinger. By day 4-5 you should be able to see the red spidery looking veins. Some people hold it on top but I can't see as well with it on top. Now after about 12 days, if the chick is growing, you HAVE to hold it on top to be able to see anything. The veins form a network that grows downward and the chick is big enough by then to fill over 1/2 the egg. After you candle, just put it gently back in the egg carton. You can do it...and it will keep you from thinking that you have chicks that you may not have.

I'm on day 14 today from an original 20 eggs...down to 7 today. I had a temp spike to 111 degrees
ep.gif
for an unknown period of time.

All my eggs are shipped and I've been having no less than 84% hatching from eggs that made it to day 18 which is a high percentage of ones that I set. Say...out of 20 eggs I usually will have 2 or 3 that are either clear or quitters.

I will use your advice the next time I hatch eggs. I would like to get one more hatch in soon so they can feather out before fall. I really enjoy hatching them. I just need to get my hands on some eggs now. I am scared to buy any eggs that are being shipped. Something must have gone wrong during the shipment. ???? I mean not even one hatched.
Depressing stuff.
roll.png

Jenny...it could be. If you could find some local eggs for your next try, that would be great. I did that for my first hatch...just to get my feet wet. I knew I wouldn't be out much $$ if things didn't go well.

I called someone on Craigslist that was advertising chicks and bought eggs from him. I think I paid $5 for 18 eggs...something like that.

I think I stumbled upon a great steal. A guy at my dh's work is willing to give me some eggs. Some sort of Millies and some Buff Cochin bantams. I am excited because the hens are laying now. The best part- FREE!
He is the same guy that gave me my WL eggs and my Jap bantam egg for my first hatch.
big_smile.png

This is awesome!

Last edited:
That's awesome Jenny, I'll be doing silkies and buff orps this run, eggs should be here today. Interested in a share? Hopefully we'll both have great hatch rates and I'll trade you a couple of my hatchlings for a couple of yours (if you're interested).

keeping fingers and toes crossed for both of us.

jumpy.gif
:fl

That's great news, Jenny! Local is the way to go. That way you know that they haven't been handled roughly. Believe me when I say it's not your techniques... it's the PO. It took three shipments of eggs before I got one Red Dorking. Same with my Silver Greys. I watched my set of Blue orpingtons from Speckled Hen dwindle down to two that went in the hatcher, and one still didn't make it. I just found a pip in the one last egg of my last shipment of 14 eggs... once again, just ONE. I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count the sets of eggs that I watched quit one by one until they were all gone.
sad.png
It IS sad... but we keep trying. I'm sure all of this next set will hatch for you.
hugs.gif
Mille Fleurs are wonderful, and if you want to hatch the old-fashioned way they're the ones to do it for you! Both of mine are broody right now and setting on eggs!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom