Panicking breath day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvchicks8, Mar 25, 2013.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    And I have a pip in one of the eggs. Isnt it too early???

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are a lot of different factors that can cause an egg to hatch early or late. The big one is average incubating temperature. If your incubator is running a bit warm, they can be early. If it is cool, they can be late. But heredity, humidity, how and how long you store the eggs, and just basic differences in the eggs can make a substantial difference.

I’ve had eggs pipping when I went into lockdown. I’ve had eggs hatch 2 days early under a broody. Some people on here post that their eggs took 24 or even 25 days to hatch. I figure if they don’t start until a full 24 hours before the magic time and the hatch is pretty much over within 24 hours after the theoretical hatch time, they are right on time.

If all your eggs hatch a couple of days early, you probably should adjust your incubating temperature down a half to a full degree and see what happens with you next hatch. Even the professionals that hatch 1,000,000 chicks a week in incubators that can hold maybe 120,000 eggs each have to go through a period of learning each new incubator to get it set right. They have basic parameters but the fine tuning is a trial and error thing.

By the way, I got a pretty good hatch even when the eggs were pipping when I went into lockdown. I wish you luck on this hatch.

1 person likes this.
  3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks for the info. I only have one that has a small pip but I can see little beak slowly working at it. this is the first time I've use a still air incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by