Panicking Hen

Speaking of which, Rosé was adorable when we first brought the chicks home. I didn't keep the lid on the box because they were on my fenced in porch, and when we weren't looking, she would get in the box with them and just sit with them.
some are really good brooders even before laying, that might help her and wanting to be with the chicks could be producing anxiety as she wants the chicken companionship, she may settle down if you integrate them, but still come to you when your around, that would be win win situation

How many times has she been with the chicks?
If she did not outright attack those chicks when she first had access to them, I would have let her stay with them under supervision.
It sounds as if she is (a) lonely and (b) potentially broody. They are a bit too old now to just let them be with her but if you can brood them in the coop with her in an enclosure that she cannot get into but they can come and go from, I'd move them in with her.

She and the chicks are always together. I had her and the chicks on the porch together because I wanted to introduce them slowly, and she took to them, so I kept them together. I just finished building bigger yard, so seeing as how the temp are averaging over 90° everyday, I just put them in the new yard with her. The hen is with the chicks. I got them for her because she lost Rouge(her companion). But even before then, when I, stress the I, leave the pen she makes this panicking noise I heard her make only after Rouge had died, as I walk away.

It's like a grrrrr(mid pitch down to low pitch), and only when I tell her no. I swear it's like she is arguing with me(maybe some one is going through her teen stage)

Sounds like she’s a momma’s girl :love. I have a pullet who will come to my feet, pace back and forth, and ‘whine’ (can’t really describe it, but I know it’s whining ;)) until I pick her up and cuddle her. Some chickens are like that, and some will give me the gggggrrrrrrr sound because they are saying ‘no touchy!!!’ when I’m trying to pick them up. I can usually tell by their demeanor and body language what they’re thinking. And I treat my chicks/chickens like kittens or puppies. I’m always holding them and talking to them (in human AND chicken :cool:). Good luck getting the spoiled one to behave! :lau

Back
Top Bottom