Panicking Hen

justcallmekinn

Chirping
Mar 21, 2019
Mississippi
Does any ones else have a hen that panics when you leave? And what can I do to help her calm down? Normally when I let her out to roam in the yard, she follows me like a puppy. Do chickens get separation anxiety?
Also, is it normal for them to growl? She argues with me. I tell her she can't go in the yard unsupervised because of the dog and she turns and growls at me.

Is the growling more of a ggggrrrrrrring sound? If so, in my experience, that sound means either relaxation time or she’s witnessing something scary. Body language also helps to decipher the two. If her neck’s stretched out and she’s clearly eyeing something, she’s freaked out or not sure about something. If she’s more puffed out, she might be trying to say she wants more wuvvies <3.

Is the growling more of a ggggrrrrrrring sound? If so, in my experience, that sound means either relaxation time or she’s witnessing something scary. Body language also helps to decipher the two. If her neck’s stretched out and she’s clearly eyeing something, she’s freaked out or not sure about something. If she’s more puffed out, she might be trying to say she wants more wuvvies <3.
It's like a grrrrr(mid pitch down to low pitch), and only when I tell her no. I swear it's like she is arguing with me(maybe some one is going through her teen stage)

My hens don't seem to behave like that but more information is needed. I don't have pet chickens other than solitary hatch survivors for some reason, had one that was rehomed that was very clingy but they eventually came out of it the person that integrated her into their flock and she was made to learn to act like a chicken instead of being spoiled rotten because didn't have another chick to place with them and momma wouldn't accept them. Yes they are bossy but they send the rooster to complain lol

My hens don't seem to behave like that but more information is needed. I don't have pet chickens other than solitary hatch survivors for some reason, had one that was rehomed that was very clingy but they eventually came out of it the person that integrated her into their flock and she was made to learn to act like a chicken instead of being spoiled rotten because didn't have another chick to place with them and momma wouldn't accept them. Yes they are bossy but they send the rooster to complain lol
She is my pet, and definitely spoiled. She gives my cats a run for their money in the spoiled Dept. If I could put a diaper on her she would spend more time inside.

Can she hear the baby chicks? I had a pullet that was my best broody at 8 weeks old, Maybe try integrating them?
Speaking of which, Rosé was adorable when we first brought the chicks home. I didn't keep the lid on the box because they were on my fenced in porch, and when we weren't looking, she would get in the box with them and just sit with them.

Back
Top Bottom