1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Panini help please

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lurky, Sep 17, 2009.

1. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I hope that of the 40,000+ BYCers, there are some panini people. I see some mouth watering recipe's in taste of home and i have wanted to get a
    panini maker for a very long time. I avoid it because i cant stand the word Panini, and i am afraid i will get a junky one and wish i had gotten a better one.
    I'm getting over the name by looking at all the pictures in the cookbooks, but i am hoping some of you might have some suggestions if you already have one, and love it [​IMG]
    I have no idea if these are popular or not, so i guess i just hope to get some feedback. Thanks [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I make paninis all the time here. We love them! I have a Hamilton-Beach grill-sort of like a George Foreman's grill. I do not like the G.F. grill but love the H.B. I make up our sandwiches and place them inside the H.B. then take a tea towel and press for about 20 seconds down on the lid. It stays compressed and makes the very best paninis! I honestly wouldn't have anything else to make them.

3. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Thanks, I'll go check that out [​IMG] I hope more people have input because i want to check out a few.
    I am so tired of wishing i had gotten something else, so i am going to try to get a good one first time.

4. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Two cast iron skillets. Heat both, grease one, put the sandwich in the greased skillet, put the other heated one on top and use it as a press.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:Yep, I have a Hamilton-Beach grill and I just place everything on the sandwich and grill!!!

Peppers and cheese are the most important ingredient to me. I also oil the bread and not the grill. I also get my bread from the bakery clearance rack of Walmart. 40% off day old bread is the best to grill!!!

Picked up a loaf of sour dough today... will make a nice turkey sandwich pinini tomorrow!!!

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    With the large Hamilton-Beach grill I can also make burgers, chicken breasts and any kind of sandwich you want. It is a versatile grill.

7. lurky

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well so far the 2 i am looking at is the Hamilton Beach, and the cuisinart GR4 that i found when i searched for the Hamilton beach.
    I actually wondered if the Cuisinart was overkill, or awesome [​IMG]
    I also would love to hear some favorite panini sandwichs to try when i get a grill. And how to prep the bread. Vfem said oil on the bread?
    What about butter? do some use mayo?

8. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    I have one made by VillaWare and love it. I would look for adjustable heat setting.

We make all kinds - what ever is laying around - shredded chicken from tacos, a bit of basil or pesto - fresh tomato and Havarti cheese.

There is a REALLY cool way to cook a Cornish Game hen on a Panini press in 10 minutes! Learned how to do from Alton Brown on the cooking channel. So moist and perfect for two people. Will give details if people want to know.

I also use for grilling boneless chicken breasts and hamburger patties. It really helps with keeping the spattering mess down.

My only complaint is they are kind of a pain in the butt to clean - I have gotten used to it now and can get it done pretty fast. Mine doesn't come apart.

Also, I would Ebay and look there - you probably can get a good deal. Here is a link to Amazon.com Looks like good prices there too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...&keywords=panini+grill&ie=UTF8&qid=1253303691

Good Luck

Sandee

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by