Panting babies?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenmadame, Apr 4, 2011.

1. chickenmadame

chickenmadame Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Just got my chicks from the hatchery, they are one day old, and they are panting......whats up?

[​IMG]

2. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    They're too hot... move the heat lamp up if you can and make sure its only on one side, not say, the middle, that way they have the other side to get to to cool down a bit.

3. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    They're too hot

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Please get a thermometer for the brooder if you don't have one, and leave it in there. One of my biggest pet peeves is to read "you don't need a thermometer, your chicks will tell you if it's too hot/cold by the way they act" on BYC. (No one on this thread has said that, yet. But I do read it here often.) A thermometer in combination with they way they act is the best way to know if your brooder temps are correct. More than likely they are too hot and/or stressed from shipping. Check the temps first.

5. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    How are they now?

6. chickenmadame

chickenmadame Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Ok they are looking better. They are definatly more vocal than my others, and they all seem to want to snuggle me, but the brooder is warm enough and they are eating drinking and pooping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by