1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

panting chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hipmarye, Aug 10, 2007.

1. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    I didn’t think this was an emergency, but I am concerned about our little flock. It has been hot here in central Arkansas, really hot 100 +. Our chickens are panting, they are walking around with their mouths open and breathing heavily. They have plenty of fresh clean water, their run is in the shade and they can come and go from their covered coop. Any ideas on what we could do to make them more comfortable?

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I fill 1/2 of their waters with ice and the other 1/2 with water to keep it really cold - for a while. Also during the hottest time of day I put out very cold fruit for them - cantalope or watermelon. Seems to make it more bareable for them.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Try freezing emply plastic bottles filled with water. we do this for our guinea pigs, and they don't seem to appreciate it much..but chickens do...at the fair, every pen had a frozen bottle and the chickens were all sitting close to them. Our chickens are free range but we give ice bottles and fans to our setting hens.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Try running some water on the ground or get a soaker hose. Watermelon is good.
    I have very shallow wading pools & put frozen milk jugs to cool their feet.

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    See my post "cooling off"

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Birds regulate their body temperature through their feet -- give them some shallow water to walk through.

7. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thanks for all the great ideas, I'm going to put some ice in their water and start freezing water bottles right away.

8. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    Make sure you don't fill the bottle completely full of water. It'll expand when frozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by