Panting chickens

Dora'smom :

Hmmm. . . I'm always reading here to see what I can learn. I had not thought of digging a hole for them, or using wet sand. I'll add those to my list of things to do for hot weather. Thanks!

I LOVE the hole trick as two feet down the temps from the earth are way cooler​

Quote:
No, I don't think so they will have to get used to the heat sooner or later. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they are not too heat stressed. I have read that chickens that have a little heat stress deal with it better when they get older.

I have some damp sand for mine to lay in and run two fans, a box fan and a Wind Machine I bought at Walmart. I prefer the Wind Machine (it was only $10 more than the box fan) but it can pivot so you can direct the airflow to where you want it. Also it is plastic so it won't rust.

It's been about 100 here in MD and my chickens have been panting too. They go under my shed and dig in the dirt there, which I've doctored with DE for them, and they hang out under the deck in the shade. They have water and drink plenty. I'm sure yours are just fine...just hot like the rest of us!

I put a 'pool', a round snow coaster, in the run with a bit of water in it...i have yet to see them in there.....but i often throw frozen grapes in there for them, and they love that.....

welcome-byc.gif

Come see us in the Arizona threadhere !

Lots of good ideas!

Back
Top Bottom