panting duck

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
Its finally pretty warm here in MA, and I let my 4 pekin ducks out to free range while I did some work on their aviary. I noticed they were panting, much like a dog does. I have yet been able to get them to like swimming but I tried to put them in the pool with not luck (again).... Should I be worried about them panting or is this "normal?" What can I do to help them cool down if they won't swim or run if i try to spray with the hose?

I was told that this is ok & normal. "its much like a dog would do" to cool down. but still keep an eye on them & make sure they always have water available. I had my baby ducky doing the same after swimming then coming back into the house. She was about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks old at the time. (she loves swimming) Good luck with your duckies, ~Julie

Its just hot. Do you have a bath tub they could swim in? Or just wet the grass to cool their feet.
wink.png

Quote:
I never thought about wetting the grass to cool their feet, thanks I will try that.... And I always make sure they have plenty of water. If I try to stick them in the pool every day, will they eventually like it and stay? or will it just stress them out? I ordered a 270 gallon pond from someone on ebay and it came today, so when I get a chance I will be putting it into their new outside area. I can't wait, but i have a feeling they won't be using it much.

Quote:
You might not be able to get them swimming in a pool yet, but how about making a 'mud puddle' for them? This might be a good way to introduce them to the joys of getting wet when you're a duck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom