Panting duckling? Don't think he's hot...

What problems is your duck having?
I have let her flush her nose, moved the heatlamp away, and gave her electolytes but still at night sometimes she is panting for a while especially if she sleeps with other ducks. Right now she is not sleeping that close to the ducks but is trying to sleep and it seems like she cant because she keeps waking up to breathe through her mouth and pant.

Panting can be caused by nervousness, also. What’s the brooder temperature? How many other littles?
The temperature is about 80 degrees. there are 2 other ducklings. I let her flush her nose i have a bowl thats deep and i moved the heatlamp away but at night when she is sleeping with other ducks she pants and cant sleep

I have let her flush her nose, moved the heatlamp away, and gave her electolytes but still at night sometimes she is panting for a while especially if she sleeps with other ducks. Right now she is not sleeping that close to the ducks but is trying to sleep and it seems like she cant because she keeps waking up to breathe through her mouth and pant.
I looked online and see that there is a disease called aspergillosis that can affect ducks, and symptoms are panting. Would you know anything about this disease, is it common? It says it happens from spores if bedding is wet. Their bedding did get wet for a couple of days but i clean the brooder completely daily. I feel helpless and cant help but think that it might be that disease...

Don’t worry about it. I’ve had the same thing with my Pekin and he just had a weird breathing thing but when he grew up it went away just give plenty of fresh water.

Don’t worry about it. I’ve had the same thing with my Pekin and he just had a weird breathing thing but when he grew up it went away just give plenty of fresh water.
Really? that makes me feel so much better. Im sitting over here bawling reading the symptoms and thinking that she will die soon if she has this disease but ive been literally cleaning the bedding daily so I am like maybe that isnt the case. She also eats and drinks and moves so she isnt acting weak either. But that honestly makes me feel so much better.

Depends on what the problem is if your duckling is panting maybe the brooder is too warm how old is the duckling and any other symptoms? No leg weakness? Like @MasterOfClucker said many different vitamins.
The duckling is 2 weeks old and did have some leg weakness for a day but is now walking fine and running too with no problems. It just pants at night sometimes

It looks like one of my ducklings, the Pekin, is panting a lot lately. In situations where I am pretty sure he cannot be overheating. It looks just like it's panting. It's bill opens and he moves it up and down just like I have always seen my ducks do when they get too hot, except that the temperature is around 70 and their light is not on.

Any other reason a duckling would pant?? Georgie is about 5 weeks old.
He may have food stuck in his throat. Gently rub his throat ... See if that works.

Panting shouldn't be classified as normal, the underlying problem should be addressed,whether its a respiratory problem or the more common problem, not enough space in the brooder so the birds can not adequately get away from the heat, although what I've been seeing most recently is the birds all go to the cool side of the brooder, but there isn't enough space so they are so crammed there body heat warms them back up. Sometimes they will get something stuck in their throat as well, wood shavings or dry feed, gently feel there throat for any foreign objects.

Last edited:
80 degrees may be a little too warm, I find that even though that’s what the book calls for, some duckies don’t read the darned books! At the same time, I can relate to fretting because there are a number of things that cause panting, some of them quite serious. Aspergiliosis (however we spell that) is a fungal respiratory disease. We can’t rule that out, yet, but if the little has been in a clean environment where contamination (such as wild waterfowl sharing the space, or previously infected birds sharing the space, or a very moldy environment) is not a problem, then it could be nerves, overheating, mild illness, or just one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom