Panting Normal

Quote:
Austin, TX is not humid like Florida is humid. Still, that kind of heat is a killer. Some breeds stand heat better than others. My heat sensitive black Australorps would not be able to stand the heat that you get in TX in late summer. Some people put ice in the water in extreme heat like you get in August. If they have plenty of shade, cold water and a breeze and lots of ventilation in their sleeping quarters, then they should be okay.

Quote:
Agreed- that was my prime consideration with breeds, was being heat tolerant. All of the breeds I have (with the possible exception of our mystery chick) are both cold and heat tolerant. The side of the yard mine are going to rotate in have some shade coverage in addition to the tractor. Also near the garden (with a fence to hopefully keep them out
lol.png
), which is cooler.

Our hot month is usually June, when things are 110 ish. Fortunately, we do not have humidity. We don't have generally have breezes, either- we have wind!
big_smile.png
(Seriously, my biggest concern is them being blown away when they are out ....)

That being said, it if got too unbearable, we'd probably bring them in the big brooder, which will stay in the garage. Then I figure they will be a little spoiled, with a fan and all.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom