Papa's Poultry

LilyandSparrow

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
Centralia, WA
I'm interested in ordering from Papa's Poultry as they are the closest hatchery (besides Dunlap). I am wondering if their prices are higher because the quality of the breeding is better? I don't mind paying more if their chicks are better quality than a standard hatchery (compared to say Ideal, Cackle, Meyer, McMurray, etc.).

I've read lots of positive experience reviews, so I guess I'm just wondering if quality is the reason for the difference in the price point :)

Yes, quality is the reason for the higher prices... Papa's Poultry is really nothing like a standard hatchery at all... he operates on a much smaller scale and focuses more on quality than quantity... :)

Agree that papa's poultry really can't be compared to the hatcheries you've mentioned.
My take is that his goal is to breed higher quality and to breed rare color/patterns. Most of what he has you don't find with the big hatcheries.
I have two breeds from him that are now a few years old. First were some blue/black copper marans. Ended up with two roos. One is pretty nice the other ended up a birchen pattern. four hens. One really nice, one decent and two without any copper just solid black.
Egg color isn't the best. One lays fairly dark other three nothing to brag about.
Other breed was lavender orpingtons. Nice color. Little issue with the lavender feather fray on them and quite bad with their offspring. Also very small for good orpingtons. Had to bring in a new roo.
Honestly i think price was a bit high for the quality in my opinion. Better then hatchery birds for sure but i've found better for a lot cheaper on my local craigslist.
But again i got my birds a few years ago so quality may have improved.

Agree that papa's poultry really can't be compared to the hatcheries you've mentioned.
My take is that his goal is to breed higher quality and to breed rare color/patterns. Most of what he has you don't find with the big hatcheries.
I have two breeds from him that are now a few years old. First were some blue/black copper marans. Ended up with two roos. One is pretty nice the other ended up a birchen pattern. four hens. One really nice, one decent and two without any copper just solid black.
Egg color isn't the best. One lays fairly dark other three nothing to brag about.
Other breed was lavender orpingtons. Nice color. Little issue with the lavender feather fray on them and quite bad with their offspring. Also very small for good orpingtons. Had to bring in a new roo.
Honestly i think price was a bit high for the quality in my opinion. Better then hatchery birds for sure but i've found better for a lot cheaper on my local craigslist.
But again i got my birds a few years ago so quality may have improved.
Thank you! This is really helpful feedback. Their prices honestly are over what I had hoped to spend, but was willing to if it was really good stock. Since we aren't showing them or breeding them, I probably just need to be okay with going with a hatchery I guess.

Back
Top Bottom