paper in the incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebel yell, Oct 27, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i just went in to lock down on 6 special eggs & decided that i would put a piece of paperboard in the bottom to save a mess to clean up after the hatch, so now my humidity is not coming up like it should, i think the paper is causing this to happen, dont know how, maybe it is absorbing it some how, maybe someone has had experience with this, i think I'm on the right track to figuring it out but could use some help, anybody?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If the paper was dry it may well be absorbing the humidity. It should top out in a couple of hours though.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know what model of incubator you have, whether it is forced air or still air, what your water reservoirs look like, what type of paper you used, or where it is positioned.

Humidity is controlled by the surface area. Volume and depth don't matter, except as far as how long you can go before it all evaporates and you have to add more. If the paper is blocking the water in the reservoir, it could be reducing your humidity. You may have very high humidity under the paper and very low humidity above. If you have a forced air incubator, you may be altering the regular air circulation paths. If the paper is touching the water, it should be absorbing the water and increasing your humidity, depending some on what type of paper it is. It is also possible that the paper is absorbing the water and the humidity will eventually come up and stabilize. If it has been a while, I suspect you are reducing the effective surface area, but I don't know.

The instructions with my Hovabator 1588 did not recommend to put paper or anything down to help clean up, so I don't alter the design of how it is supposed to work. Besides, the wire to give good traction to the chicks feet and the plastic reservoir clean up pretty easily.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    mine is a homemade rig, no hava bators for me thanks, ill stick with my LG & homade rig, but everything is comming around now, & the paper is under the water pan so its not blocking the water, i also have a wire floor above the water pan, thanks.

5. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    .... note to self ... dry paper to reduce humidity

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I'm not exactly sure what paper board is but would make sure that it won't be slippery for new chicks to avoid spraddle leg. I put paper towel down in my incubator for ease of clean up and haven't had any humidity problems using that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by