Paper-piecing quilt question?

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
I have never tried any kind of paper piecing.....How hard is the off-set pineapple block?

Here is a photo of the one I would like to try....sorry, the picture is not the best!
33322_pineapplequilt.jpg

I can't remember the specifics of how it works now, but with paper piecing, ANY pattern is easy, once you get the general idea. you just sew on the lines, trim and flip. One year we did a variety of different styled christmas trees and worked them into place mats. there were probably 6 different styles of tree, but no matter how complicated it looked, it was just as easy to do once you wrapped your head around how to do paper piecing at all.

Oh that's beautiful!!

I agree with Cathartica. Once you understand paper piecing, it is a very easy accurate way to make a quilt.

Here are a couple paper pieced quits I did

18_marinerscompasssmall_002.jpg

18_7-25-06_002.jpg

I made one small wall quilt, which was a bit complicated. I really like paper piecing but the problem that I had was that xeroxing distorted the pattern a little. Be sure to use the same xerox machine because I found out the hard way that all xerox machines are not the same. I don't think I could sew some of the beautiful intricate quilts without paper piecing. BTW, those quilts shown are beautiful.

Thanks for the opinions!

Since I have never paper pieced...I might try a few blocks and just see how it goes. I have watched alot of videos on paper-piecing and it makes more sense than reading instructions!
big_smile.png

(I will remember the hint on the Xerox machine)

and Terrielacy, your paper pieced quilts are gorgeous!

Last edited:
I have a learning disability that precludes me from doing the complicated patterns and paper piecing
sad.png
I have to be SHOWN how to do something because my brain doesn't translate written instructions of this type.

Once finances are better and I'm a stay-at-home-mom, I'll be able to start taking the free quilting classes through the community college - if they haven't been cut by the government because they are too busy subsidizing illegals
sad.png

Fons and Porter had a program on today showing paper piecing. Mary Ann and her daughter were on the Nashville PBS station. The quilt pattern that they were showing was beautiful. It's definitely worth doing.

Czech's_chicks :

I have a learning disability that precludes me from doing the complicated patterns and paper piecing
sad.png
I have to be SHOWN how to do something because my brain doesn't translate written instructions of this type.

Once finances are better and I'm a stay-at-home-mom, I'll be able to start taking the free quilting classes through the community college - if they haven't been cut by the government because they are too busy subsidizing illegals
sad.png

Once you learn it you will be saying, Oh this is so easy and you will be able to do any pattern. I think there is a love hate relationship with Paper piecing. You will love it or hate it. I love it but I know it takes time and I have a hard time remembering which way to go.

I hope you get to go to the class and if I lived closer I would show you. Good luck.

Sorry I forgot a word.​

Last edited:
I saw a few good you tube videos on paper piecing. I didn't really understand it until I watched them. I can't remember the links but if you do a search on you tube you will probably come up with several. There are a lot of good videos on quilting and sewing on there.

Back
Top Bottom