paper thin eggs

new very to raising chickens, We have been finding eggs below roosting area very paper thin every morning. This has been happening last few weeks at least two eggs a day. Some were being eaten so i put a rack under roosting area so eggs would fall thru and ladies would not eat them. I feed Purina laying pellets and they have oyster shells available and get fresh vegi's out of garden. Also as treats a few times a week dried meal worms for protein. My 7 girls are 5 mos old I am only getting two eggs a day. Just a note they have a complete enclosed huge outdoor area so they can run, fly and play lots of fun. There is no stress in or out of coop or run area. What is happening and am I doing something wrong.
I'm a newbie too, so all I can do is commiserate. I have 6 EEs at 23 weeks old. I took them off growth crumbles at 18 weeks and start them on Purina laying pellets. Not even any side oyster shells. Only one has started laying, one week ago. She is a little Egg Factory. One egg a day, everyday, each one hour later in the day. First egg on the coop floor. All the others in a nest box. They're small ( like grocery store size small, not tiny). But I ate my first 3 today. Shells were HARD! Like two raps with a knife blade to open hard.
I can't imagine what you're doing wrong. Sounds like you're better to your chickens than I am mine. But I know if my chickens were laying for SEVERAL WEEKS and they were still laying soft-shelled eggs and from the Roost, I would be worried sick! I'm so sorry you're having these problems. But these folks on BYC are really knowledgeable and helpful. Somebody should come along real soon to help you solve this dilemma. Best of luck to you.

I'm a newbie too, so all I can do is commiserate. I have 6 EEs at 23 weeks old. I took them off growth crumbles at 18 weeks and start them on Purina laying pellets. Not even any side oyster shells. Only one has started laying, one week ago. She is a little Egg Factory. One egg a day, everyday, each one hour later in the day. First egg on the coop floor. All the others in a nest box. They're small ( like grocery store size small, not tiny). But I ate my first 3 today. Shells were HARD! Like two raps with a knife blade to open hard.
I can't imagine what you're doing wrong. Sounds like you're better to your chickens than I am mine. But I know if my chickens were laying for SEVERAL WEEKS and they were still laying soft-shelled eggs and from the Roost, I would be worried sick! I'm so sorry you're having these problems. But these folks on BYC are really knowledgeable and helpful. Somebody should come along real soon to help you solve this dilemma. Best of luck to you.
Thank You!!! you are very kind. The eggs that are good we have gotten some have been double yolks! what a surprise! and shells are pretty tough to crack!

Just a new layer, soft shell eggs are pretty normal.
Whew!
I found several interesting soft shell eggs in the coop. One didn’t even have a shell. I had several with a good shell and thicker than store bought.
The new egg was sooo thin and little rubbery like.
I would hate to figure out who done it.
They have layer feed and oyster shells in a separate container.

I am still searching for a better layer feed. They dislike durmor pellets. I throw away so much of it.

Back
Top Bottom