Parakeet cere

Lkase

Songster
Jun 5, 2020
So tonight I got a breeding pair of parakeets. I was told the blue one was male and green female. They have three eggs in a coconut nest currently. The green parakeet is sitting on the eggs and the blue one is caring for her but also sits on the nest with her. I am just concerned about his cere color? It doesn't look blue to me at all. More redish brown. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20210919_170013.jpg
    20210919_170013.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 5
There's a lot wrong here, but the cage is much too small unless the door is left open most of the day for them to come and go in your home.

Two females together in a cage, with a nest, have been known to kill one another protecting their eggs so it's something to watch for. Females are the aggressive sex in this species. If you don't have a male and intend to breed there shouldn't be anything in which to lay eggs in the cage. If you do intend to breed you need two new males, and then two new, larger cages as if they have male partners they will be even more likely to attack each other.

So tonight I got a breeding pair of parakeets. I was told the blue one was male and green female. They have three eggs in a coconut nest currently. The green parakeet is sitting on the eggs and the blue one is caring for her but also sits on the nest with her. I am just concerned about his cere color? It doesn't look blue to me at all. More redish brown. Is this normal?
Both females unfortunately. Meaning the eggs unfertilized too. You may buy a male and exchange one of the females but I'm not sure if you can do that in the US.

There's a lot wrong here, but the cage is much too small unless the door is left open most of the day for them to come and go in your home.

Two females together in a cage, with a nest, have been known to kill one another protecting their eggs so it's something to watch for. Females are the aggressive sex in this species. If you don't have a male and intend to breed there shouldn't be anything in which to lay eggs in the cage. If you do intend to breed you need two new males, and then two new, larger cages as if they have male partners they will be even more likely to attack each other.
Yeah and the coconut hut also is weird to me. I've seen that the upper roof of the shell makes your bird unusually sexual and aggressive. So if you dont wanna breed then throw the eggs away and anything that resembles a nest, or buy two new big cages and 2 males.

So is it common for two females to form a pair like they have? They are most definitely bonded and haven't shown any signs of aggression towards each other. I got them from an older woman who said she couldn't care for them anymore. The coconut and the eggs came with them. If these are indeed two females I will remove it because they spend all of their time inside of it. I also realize they need a bigger cage. Should I candle the eggs to be sure? She originally had five parakeets but separated these two because they had formed a pair.

So is it common for two females to form a pair like they have? They are most definitely bonded and haven't shown any signs of aggression towards each other. I got them from an older woman who said she couldn't care for them anymore. The coconut and the eggs came with them. If these are indeed two females I will remove it because they spend all of their time inside of it. I also realize they need a bigger cage. Should I candle the eggs to be sure? She originally had five parakeets but separated these two because they had formed a pair.
Interesting. If they indeed have formed a pair, its quite rare. I've had birds who were acting homo before but never have I seen THAT level of commitment. Either ways, you should remove the eggs I feel ASAP as it's just gonna break their heart. But if they're so bonded, I suggest you can just keep them the way they are happy JUST NOT WITH EGGS! :)

Back
Top Bottom