Parakeet Eggs! Here we go again! *UPDATE: Page 3: PICTURE HEAVY!!!!!*

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Hey everyone! I was just feeding our 4 Parakeets and 1 Cockatiel when guess what I found in the bottom of their cage today? 2 little white Parakeet eggs!!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
Some of you have seen some of my other posts last year about my family's Parakeets and their eggs. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, let me inform you about my experiences last year:

Carla is our yellow and green female parakeet, and she has been the one who lays eggs at least once or more a year and tries to hatch them out. Last year, she tried a couple times until finally she hatched out 3-4 babies. But unfortunately, when they were beginning to grow some feathers, we made the horrible mistake of leaving the other birds in the cage with the parents and the babies, and the others ended up killing the 3-4 babies.
sad.png
he.gif
That was the last time Carla tried hatching out eggs. Also, her mate is Stormy, a black and blue parakeet.
Our other female, a blue/gray/white parakeet named Toddra, whom died just last year before Christmas, and her mate, Kiwi, tried hatching our their own babies before too. Unfortunately they never succeeded because she usually gave up before they hatched. Kiwi died a few months ago, soon after Toddra did, for an unknown reason.
sad.png

So now we have Carla, Stormy, and two other females, whom don't have mates. We have one albino white female, named Dove, and a yellow female, named Sunny. They have never been broody or attempted to hatch our their own babies. Right now they all sure their large cage with our normal gray Cockatiel, Moss. They all get along well, once and a while Moss will get in an argument with them (I think he finds the smaller-than-him parakeets a little annoying!
lol.png
) but they all get along pretty well anyway.

Also, last year I attempted hatching out a few parakeet eggs when Carla abandoned them. I put them in my old homemade incubator, but then we had to make an unexpected road trip and they got too cold and died a few days before hatching. I had done a lot of research on how to care for them, such as feeding, etc. In fact a kind BYCer, who also has some birds, sent me a bag of baby bird formula because I was unable to get some in time.
smile.png
(Even the BYC chicken community can come in handy with non-chicken-related problems!). So I had their box set up with a few different-sized syringes and the formula all set, but they never made it.
sad.png

So anyway, after many past posting of the different attempts at hatching parakeet eggs, both with the real parents and myself with the incubator, this is yet another one!
tongue.png

So today I found those two little white eggs in the bottom of the cage! No one was setting on them and I thought they were just laid and not taken seriously by one of the females, but later today I looked back in and saw that Carla was setting on them.
smile.png
Since there are 2 of them, and parakeets usually lay one egg a day until they have the desired number of eggs in the clutch, which can range from about 3-8, I'm estimating she laid the 1st one two days ago and the 2nd one yesterday sometime. OR she laid one yesterday and the 2nd one today. Either way, if she's planning on laying anymore, which knowing her usual cycle of eggs, which is usually 3-5, there should be a 3rd egg by tomorrow.
thumbsup.gif

Right now Carla's eggs are in the bottom of the cage in a pile of old seed hulls and paper shavings that she made a little spot in. Stormy, her mate, has been sitting on a perch above her to keep guard. I know that it's not really good to let them keep the eggs on the ground because of cleanliness reasons, but for now they seem to be clean. The bottom is just full of soft, dry seed hulls and pieces of paper and some droppings, so the eggs are clean and I think it's a fine place for them because the food dish is nearby and not many of the other parakeets (and Moss) go to the bottom so they are not likely to bother them. Although they wouldn't in the first place, even if the nest was where they often spend a lot of time, because Carla doesn't let anyone (including us!) near her nest. And she bites HARD!
th.gif
So she should be fine right now, like last time. But I think what I will do is when the babies hatch, we will move them and the parents into their own smaller cage (we have an extra, unused one) so the babies won't be killed by the others like last time.

I will keep you guys updated and may candle the eggs later on. I really don't want to bother them though, so I think I will wait for a little while longer before candling.
smile.png

I will also see if I can post pictures sometime!

Thanks for reading and please check back for updates! Feel free to share your experience(s) with hatching parakeets if you have any.
thumbsup.gif

-77horses
wee.gif

Last edited:
I hope she hatches them this time! How exciting! I just noticed my one and only female parakeet going into the nest box today... Yay! I'm hoping for babies soon. If she is going to try setting eggs, maybe after these hatch and are well started you could put a nest box in there for her to incubate her eggs in. I bet she would use it. Keep us updated on how things go. Hope it all works out perfect.

I tried cocktiels and they went their nesting box and laid a good deal of eggs, just never had any feritile ones. try getting a nesting box and put her eggs in there I bet it would work then.

I used to have a small wooden homemade nest box with that I used a wood burner to carve "Welcome" above the entrance hole.
tongue.png
It fell apart and I threw i away, unfortunately.
hmm.png

But I know that small cardboard boxes (colorless ones!!! Colored paper, newspaper, cardboard, etc. can be fatal if chewed and ingested by small mammals and birds!
old.gif
) with a small entrance hole in the side can make a good nest box, and you can make your own wooden one or buy one that is already made at a pet store or somewhere. Cardboard boxes works well for temporary nest boxes, since they are easily chewed on and I've noticed ours like to use the chewed material for making a little nest. The only problem is the cardboard boxes don't have the little indented bowl-shape in it like wooden ones that are often sold at stores do, so the eggs stay in place in there. But it still works well.

Quote:
Hey! You're the one who sent me the formula in the ziplock baggie!
lol.png
(https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=223192)
I never used it because the eggs never hatched out, but I still have it in the baggie and the syringes as well, just in case I needed it ever again. Do you think it's still good to use, just in case? I'm pretty sure Carla will be able to take care of them, but if for some reason she abandons them, I will want to be able to take over if needed.

Thanks!
smile.png

UPDATE: I made Carla a nest box from a fairly small, plain cardboard box. When she got off the 2 eggs, I took them and put them in. She was immediately interested in it and investigated the new nest and found her eggs, but she wouldn't set on them anymore.
hmm.png
We gave her a couple hours to get used to it, and she never went and seriously set on the eggs in her new nest box. So, we put the nest box on the bottom of the cage where she had originally be setting. Still, it didn't help.
So, not wanting to risk the eggs becoming cool and/or her abandoning them, I took the eggs back out and put them back in the original place she had them...without the nest box. She immediately went back to them and rolled them under her and is now still setting on them.
smile.png

So.....I guess she won't be having a nest box at all. She seems intent on staying on the ground and won't accept it any other way.

Also, Moss the Cockatiel and the white albino female parakeet, Dove, seemed to be the ones bothering Carla. I knew Moss meant no harm, he was just curious to get a good look at the eggs and the nest, but Dove seemed to want to harm them because she kept going close to the nest when Carla was off of them. I shooed her away, but she kept coming back and even tried going into the now-not-being-used cardboard box nest. So I took Moss and Dove out and put them in a separate cage. Instead of moving the Carla and her mate, Stormy, I moved the other troublesome birds and put them in their own cage together. I left Sunny, the other mate-less female parakeet, with Stormy and Carla because she's not bothering them.

UPDATE: As of today, Carla has laid and is sitting on 6 eggs!
wee.gif
I candled two of them...one was just starting to develop (I could see the embryo's tiny heart beating!
big_smile.png
) and the other one is a bit more advanced in development...more veins and larger embryo. So I don't disturb her too much, I will candle the other eggs later. The 2 that she laid in the beginning (see first post) are planned to hatch sometime this late Sunday to Tuesday (or maybe Wednesday?). No idea how old the rest are. Monday will be around day 18 for the first 2.
smile.png

Quote:
clap.gif
clap.gif
She's such a good brooder and she really does deserve to finally be able to raise her own family after all her hard work and perseverance.
smile.png
clap.gif

Oh and can't forget Stormy! He has been standing guard and regurgitating food for her while she sat on the eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom