Parakeet with crossed beak

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by NewHobbyForMe, Jan 22, 2010.

1. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Can anyone tell me what would cause a beak to cross and if so is there anything I can do. I feel so bad because I just noticed it and my male is feeding her. They have been mates for 4 years and reared several clutches of babies. I tried to take a picture but she is very flighty and not tame. If needed I will catch and hold her for a pictures. Thank you so much

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    Is her beak overgrown? I am not real sure but I think that some nutrional deficiencies will do this.

3. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I looked it up and came across this site. http://www3.sympatico.ca/davehansen/claw.html Talks about older parakeets sometimes have problems with the beak not chipping off the old beak while the newer beak is growing in causing it to become overgrown. Should probably have a vet look at the beak. If the beak needs trimmed the vet if expierenced could trim it. Definitely not something to be left untreated. If the male wasn't feeding her she probably would lose weight and pass away.

4. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you all for your replies. This information helps, I think I can trim one spot on her lower beak to correct the problem. Thank you again.

5. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    make sure it doesn't have scaly face mites, that can cause beak deformities

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by