Paralysis and Labored Breathing

suzpals

Hatching
May 3, 2015
Hi there!

My hen is about 6 months old. She's a buff orpington and when I got here, she initially had some upper respiratory issues but I separated her and put her on antibiotics and she seemed fine for a few months. Then a few weeks ago she was all puffed up and would just stand around and had some bloody poop, so I put the whole flock on Corid for Cocci (a 5 day course). After that, I put some Big Ole Bird probiotics and nutridrench in their water. She seemed completely better for a week or two but then 3 days ago I let them out while I was outside and she didnt seem to have great balance. She would kinda stumble around. Yesterday it was far worse. She would fall over a lot and would have to catch herself with her wings. So I put her in a separate dog kennel with a smaller one to sleep in. I gave her some scrambled eggs, spinach and some nutri-drench. I thought it might be a vitamin B deficiency if it wasn't Mareck's so I thought I'd see if I could help that. Anyway, this morning I got outside and thought she was already dead. She was laying there with her wing splayed out and her eyes closed, but breathing. I cleaned off her vent and put her in a tub with a towel, but she's laying there not doing much. Her eyes will open if I move her around but she seems pretty paralyzed. She can move her feet a little and if she tries to lift up her neck, she shakes. I did notice that her poop had a bit of green in it this morning.

It doesn't seem like she's gonna make it honestly, but I am trying to see if there's anything I can do. Thank you!

I've talked to a local chicken guy and he said that they've treated a lot of red mites since it's been so rainy here, so he thinks that's what she has.

Back
Top Bottom