Paralysis in hen please please help

The head extended, labouring to breathe as seen in your video is also something I've seen consistently in hens with ascites.

There are ways to drain the fluid from the belly using subcutaneous syringes (you can search YouTube for walkthroughs), but I'm personally not comfortable doing that and believe it only prolongs suffering.

Did you feel her belly and does it feel more "full" than the other hens? Will she eat scrambled eggs and drink if you bring food/water to her?

It's definitely still worth checking for a bound egg and trying to get her to eat and drink. To me it does look like ascites, and the age of the hen (4 years) and layer-specific breed would corroborate that assumption.

Can she move her legs at all? You may want to get her up into a chicken sling to keep her cleaner and make it easier for her to eat and drink. Here is a video:
Compare her lower belly with the other hens to see if it is enlarged. Look for any lice or mites, and irritation from lying down so long. Do you see any evidence of injuries? I offer a scoop or small cup up to the hen’s beak to get them drinking and eating. Wet chicken feed with lots of water, scrambled bits of egg, a canned cat food can be offered in small amounts to get them eating and drinking.

She has not been laying eggs. She is around 4. When I put my hands around her face, she just rests it on my had. I don't know if she is pooping, but her vent is clear. We keep our feed in with them. I also noticed that her feathers were a lot lighter than the other hens. Her legs don't move at all.

We got back from our vacation and found her on the ground of the coop floor.
How do I get the fluid out?
I feel like she isn't going to last another day :(
The poor dear:(

Did you feel of her abdomen for bloat or feeling of fluid?
How's her crop?
Do you hear her gurgling at all?

With her age, I would suspect she's having reproductive issues. You could try draining her if there's fluid in the abdomen, but as mentioned it's not a cure, but some are successful in prolonging life and making the hen more comfortable.

Can she move her legs at all? You may want to get her up into a chicken sling to keep her cleaner and make it easier for her to eat and drink. Here is a video:
Compare her lower belly with the other hens to see if it is enlarged. Look for any lice or mites, and irritation from lying down so long. Do you see any evidence of injuries? I offer a scoop or small cup up to the hen’s beak to get them drinking and eating. Wet chicken feed with lots of water, scrambled bits of egg, a canned cat food can be offered in small amounts to get them eating and drinking.
I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow. It looked like she was twitching earlier. But thank you.

She made it another night! Does anybody know any vet that will look at a chicken?
You made it sound like you already had an appointment. None of us are local to you. Therefore we don't know what type of vets you have in your area. Make sure your location is on, and Google "avian vets near me" or "exotic vets near me". Make a few phone calls right now. Time crucial.

Back
Top Bottom