Paralyzed bird

Bmeadows

Chirping
Apr 9, 2021
This is the second bird in a week that went “limp” labored breathing. I assume it is maerk disease but they were all vaccinated from hatchery. Anyone have an alternate theory or ideas. The first one was my youngest daughters fav, this most recent one is my oldest daughters fav. Thanks for assistance in advance

This is the second bird in a week that went “limp” labored breathing. I assume it is maerk disease but they were all vaccinated from hatchery. Anyone have an alternate theory or ideas. The first one was my youngest daughters fav, this most recent one is my oldest daughters fav. Thanks for assistance in advance
If you are trying to figure out if Marek's is an issue for your flock you can get a PCR test done.
https://www.vetdna.com/

Could you provide a few more details? What are all of her symptoms? Is one leg or both paralyzed, or does she have curled under toes, or walking on her hocks? Do her eyes appear normal? Is it hot out where she might be dehydrated or suffering heat stroke? Is she eating or drinking? Is she gasping for air? Have you added any new members to your flock recently who might have been a carrier for Mareks? There can be a number of conditions that may resemble Mareks disease. It can be confirmed with a necropsy by the state vet if you lose her. RAL lab does a home blood test if you are interested. I really hope that it is not MD, and that you can save her. I would start some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily in case of a riboflavin deficiency.

1.5 years old
Could you provide a few more details? What are all of her symptoms? Is one leg or both paralyzed, or does she have curled under toes, or walking on her hocks? Do her eyes appear normal? Is it hot out where she might be dehydrated or suffering heat stroke? Is she eating or drinking? Is she gasping for air? Have you added any new members to your flock recently who might have been a carrier for Mareks? There can be a number of conditions that may resemble Mareks disease. It can be confirmed with a necropsy by the state vet if you lose her. RAL lab does a home blood test if you are interested. I really hope that it is not MD, and that you can save her. I would start some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily in case of a riboflavin deficiency.
Both legs are straight out like rigor mortis. Toes curled. Eyes and beak look normal. No new additions. All are original chickens added last year. All chicks were vaccinated from hatchery. But from what I’ve read there are a lot of variables that dictate If the vaccine is even effective. At a loss, that chicken didn’t make it 😢

Both legs are straight out like rigor mortis. Toes curled. Eyes and beak look normal. No new additions. All are original chickens added last year. All chicks were vaccinated from hatchery. But from what I’ve read there are a lot of variables that dictate If the vaccine is even effective. At a loss, that chicken didn’t make it 😢
I think the only way to tell, is to get a test done.
Usually it would show up when they are a bit younger, but that certainly don't rule it out.
Another thought, could it be moldy feed?

Feed is kept dry and only put out when they eat. I agree with the test being the o my 100% way to tell but unfortunately that’s not an option right now due to my work schedule.

Back
Top Bottom