Paranoid and anxiety filled after hawk attack (I'm talking about ME!!)

chickmomma18

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Downingtown Pa
New to raising chickens. I'm exhausted from worry. Tuesday, two hawks got in our run and killed 4 of our babies. 7 weeks old.
After getting the remaining 21 chicks in their coop-it took my husband and I - 25 minutes to get these hawks to go out the same way they came in.

We have since, completed the roof (I have pictures of these hawks but since I'm new to this site I don't seem to be able to upload not sure why)

The girls are doing good. I placed three of their old cages in the run and bent the cage doors to create a pop hole and covered all of the cages with big branches with leaves on them- all on the tops-which the girls love and feel a bit safer. I've also placed hide always for them in two corners of the run & the roof is finished but I may do some cross cross wires too. I know they can't get in because they couldn't get out no matter how hard they tried when they did get in!!! Roof is sturdy is my point.
And still-I'm a bloody mess!!! They love being outside and tend to hang out by their cages/hide aways and if they hear anything they climb in their hide aways.

But I am still a crazy fearful mess. Who can give me advice on being cool ??? Lol

Both of these hawks are juveniles and are still learning what they are capable of taking. The best way to keep them away is make sure they have no chance at getting your chickens. Once they are unsuccessful enough times they'll either get discouraged and move on, or more desperate. However, they will probably move along to a new area since the migration is picking up. Keep your birds safe until then, success is the biggest reinforcer for hawks.

That is so scary! I lost my Salmon Faverolles to a hawk last spring when she was free-ranging in our backyard. My run is pretty secure but if I don't let my girls out, they SCREAM. I'm not allowed to have chickens so to keep them quiet they have unsupervised backyard time. This is my crazy hawk deterrent system.

We have a lot of trees and cover so I just do this in the open areas. It seems to be working but it is a pain in the butt and makes it hard to enjoy the yard. I'm also going to stay way from light colored chickens in the future.

Is that string @kculbert

It is string, ribbon and whatever else I could find. Definitely not predator proof but it seemed to keep the hawks that nested next door looking for an easier meal. I think my silly Faverolles wasn't very predator savvy and her flashy coloring probably didn't help. I have also hung fluttering banners around the run and keep a fan blowing on them to keep them moving. My blue jays usually let me know if there is a hawk around.

Back
Top Bottom