Paranoid and anxiety filled after hawk attack (I'm talking about ME!!)

We are in the country and have hawk nests on our and the neighbors places. Have owls too. When we built our coops we knew this and put hardware cloth overhead so the generous run is completely enclosed. We let them out to free range but only supervised. When the hawks are aloft the crows and jays let us know and we gather them together close to us. We have had a few swoop down but our presence had them abruptly change course.

Security is the answer,

I agree security is primary!!! Here in PA, we live on 9 acres of hundreds and hundreds of trees with it only opening up to our home and a decent size front and back yard. We have hawks, racoons, fox, groundhogs, fox, toads, turdles, snakes. Etc. so we aren't going to be giving them the opportunity to "truly" free range because it really is too dangerous for them. So we decided to build the run to be pretty significant in size and our plan is to create an equally huge run for them on the other side of the coop next spring so they can have as close as we can get to "free range" without endangering their lives. It truly would be impossible for me to assure their safety on this property.
We have 2 electric fencing wires on the bottom half of the run and the coop. And fencing and chicken wire and the roof is now complete with extra security, hanging CD's and several hide aways. This weekend we will complete the last of the electric fence which we are putting at the top of the fencing for those "climbers" for "diggers" we have liquid cement ready to go of and when we need it. I work from my home so I inspect the perimeter every morning before I let them out, every day at lunch time and every evening after I lock them up. And I'm also in the process of getting a baby monitor...
Every step I make helps me relax a little.

My predator attack probably won't be my last. The birds simply love free ranging & I would need to build a much larger run to keep them in all the time! In fact, some of the girls & 1 of the roosters are out in the woods out back right now. We have the same issues with the "ground" predators..fortunately those usually come out when it's dark & the girls are in.
And, you are right, it is virtually impossible to completely ensure they're safety no matter what ya do!

My neighbor & I share about 12 acres; there's 100+ acres of woods behind me, then we're surrounded by corn fields & cows.

So far, my rooster, Bigboy, has truly done a fantastic job warning the girls...and, I am so happy that one of my 20 week old cockerels just gave the warning sound a few minutes ago when something flew overhead (think it was a bluejay)...girls ran under the deck (have a whole house wrap around deck).
I know a lot of folks can't have roosters...because other than keeping them in a safe run, they are GREAT at protecting (as long they don't pull a Rana & wander off alone :()

I gave my other rooster , Blackie, to a friend who had lost 3 to hawks last year...since she got him, no issues.

Problem is they will come back, they know where easy food is. Hawks are extremely patient ours waited hours in the trees for access
To our chickens. They came back every day..they waited hours every day. After a week they quit, but sent a family member to
Do a fly by every day for another week. We now let our girls out with a babysitter. No chickens out without a sitter. We then picked up coyotes! So far this
Summer we lost two girls to heat, one hawk and one coyote one coyote got a chicken and somehow she escaped with only
Minor feather loss. Hawks leave nothing behind not even a feather..unless the bird is heavy like our windotte..owls are soundless flyers watch
For them at night..they make no sound. Our hawks are huge and likewise our owls! Very sorry to hear about your trauma.
Good job going on the offensive build it to keep out unwanted predators!:hugs

When the hawks attacked (my original post) we were outside before either of the hawks could eat anything. So they just killed them but did not get an actual meal. But it was so very creepy because their mouths were red. I get chills just thinking about it....

I so feel for you having watched my goose being killed by wedgetail Eagles. I wonder if having a radio on in you run would be helpful to keep Hawks away . Good luck Beth Tasmania

I so feel for you having watched my goose being killed by wedgetail Eagles. I wonder if having a radio on in you run would be helpful to keep Hawks away . Good luck Beth Tasmania

Funny you mention that. DH was just out of town for work, visited with someone that has chickens & was, at first, teasing him cuz he had a radio in the coop/run with his birds (thought it was there tomkeepmthe girls "company"). The guy told him that he has it in there to deter raccoons; & that he's has NO issues since he started using it.
I can't see where it would hurt & would most likely keep,ground predators away too...

We, like many, have lost some of our angels to hawks, our solution, Aviary Netting...It came in a roll of 150' by 50'...Not the easiest to work with, but once we cut it managable levels, it worked!...Only issue we've had with it is when it got loaded with ice and dragged the ground, good thing the birds wouldn't come out anyway...

Back
Top Bottom