Parasites! If you can easily get an upset tummy don't click this!

Pics
You're in southern Mississippi where your soil is warm and moist/wet most of the time...worm soup. I recommend that you set up a routine worming schedule. There's plenty of available wormers to use to keep your birds healthy.

I'll take that into strong consideration. My main issue with that is that one of my breeding goals is for natural resilience to parasites such as worms. That is NOT to say I will not use commercial dewormers, but prefer to use them only as necessary. If I'm routinely worming them, I think it would obscure weaker birds. I may add some natural preventative (such as pumpkin seeds or raw garlic) to their diet occasionally otherwise.

Due to this conversation, I'm actually looking into how to run my own fecals to monitor parasite load. Considering my goals and location, I feel it's imperative. It would be really nice to find a class in my area, though there are several great articles I've already bookmarked.

There is a goat farm near me, Deep South Kikos, that has achieved parasite resilience with their herd, and goats usually fair poorly in our "worm soup" ecosystem. I'd need to contact them for details, but if an individual needs worm treatment 'x' times, it's culled from the herd (selling or otherwise). My chickens would go to freezer camp.

Brown?
Do you have a link to product, please @Lumley Farm ?

This is the brand I've used: Red Lake Earth. I've used it on my dog food for years. My 20 lb terrier mixes recieve clean fecals, but my malamute mix had round worms so I know DE has its limits. Does it work? Yes, but only to an extent.

I'm interested in the mining process of the Red Lake brand due to this article as well. It could be a bad trade off if you get DE for environmental reasons.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...atomaceous-earth-with-calcium-bentonite-40-lb

the mites are gone, and since I have so much, I'll just have to dust them (carefully) every once in awhile. I have had chickens in the coops I have, and this is the first time..... also have this product. Amazing stuff, the young hen who was sneezing and had bubbles in her eyes is in her way to recovering in only two days. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GSOD8KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So...I bought the goat dewormer. However we are going to move the chickens to a new site so should I deworm them now or when they move. I am afraid that they may get the worms again.

So...I bought the goat dewormer. However we are going to move the chickens to a new site so should I deworm them now or when they move. I am afraid that they may get the worms again.
Usually best to deworm prior to moving any animals to new pasture, although not give dewormer and move immediately that same moment. I’m not sure what everyone is doing on here for chicken deworming timing, but the ruminants around my area get dewormed early may and then turned out to pasture 3-4 weeks later; they also get dewormed when leaving the pasture and are usually kept in holding pens for a couple of weeks before they go to their winter quarters. Lessens the load on any given pasture. They leave their parasite eggs behind and don’t bring them along to their new grazing areas. But every location is going to be a little different in how they handle things because of the different species of parasites in your area, and the time of year or season that you see the largest influx.

Usually best to deworm prior to moving any animals to new pasture, although not give dewormer and move immediately that same moment. I’m not sure what everyone is doing on here for chicken deworming timing, but the ruminants around my area get dewormed early may and then turned out to pasture 3-4 weeks later; they also get dewormed when leaving the pasture and are usually kept in holding pens for a couple of weeks before they go to their winter quarters. Lessens the load on any given pasture. They leave their parasite eggs behind and don’t bring them along to their new grazing areas. But every location is going to be a little different in how they handle things because of the different species of parasites in your area, and the time of year or season that you see the largest influx.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom