Parent of 17 hens 7 roosters

Hi We have raised 17 hens and 7 roosters which are born May 20 2019 now 26 wks and 1 hen I hatched born June 8 2019 now 24 weeks out of the group got first egg Oct 5 2019 out of 17 hens I'm now getting 10 to 13 eggs a day. I have the following breeds
6 Buckeye hens 1 roosters
2 golden cuckoo marans 2 roosters
1 rhode Island red 1 rooster
1 New Hampshire red
1 white delaware ?
2 barred rock
1 Dominique
2 golden laced wyandotte 2 roosters
1 blue cochin ? not sure yet
1 black green with brown feathers in neck rooster?View attachment 1966596
Roosters have their own pen and house off the end of hen coop and house
:welcome :frow You picture looks like a male cockerel. Good luck with your flock. You have a nice setup. I do the same with the males and make some of the coops and pens as bachelor pads. As long as there are no females they get along fine otherwise when one mates a particular female it seem like the rest of the males want a piece too. Good luck and have fun...

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
you might want to invest in some 1/2" HC and at a minimum secure your coop. You would also do better to have a 4' high strip along the bottom of the run too.
dug 1 foot down attached wire mesh all the way around coop and under dirt nothing can dig in and enclosed the top with chicken wire. only way in is 1 door

dug 1 foot down attached wire mesh all the way around coop and under dirt nothing can dig in and enclosed the top with chicken wire. only way in is 1 door
Oops! I was actually talking about the lower walls of the run. Just about anything can tear through chicken wire. But it's great you have a predator apron.

I used 1"x2" welded wire fencing and around the bottom have 2' of chicken wire. Here we don't have any critters that can get through the 1"x2" wire except maybe a rat or snakes. Luckily I haven't been bothered by snakes. I saw a rat once in a nest box but never again :fl. I had a couple of snakes that got electrocuted by the electric wire that goes around my coops and pens when their tails were on the ground and their bodies crossed the electric wire then trying to crawl through the chicken wire. Once a Rat snake was wrapped around but not in a single hole nest box that I persuaded to leave and have not seen it since. :fl I leave my pop doors open 24/7 but so far nothing has gone in except for maybe a rat, but I have rat bait boxes in our barn which is behind the coops, and the baits haven't been touched in quite awhile. I haven't seen any mice or rats. Good luck and have fun...

Last edited:
Nice selection of breeds.
Good job keeping the roosters separate.
What state are you in? Do you have a means of protection from predators besides the chicken wire?
Are you planning on hatching any eggs from your flocks? If so, are you planning on segregating breeds?
Wyoming, herd dogs run area around coop, planning on breeding only the golden cuckoo marans to the 2 matching hens and the golden laced wyandotte to the 2 hens for them,5 buckeye hens to the buckeye rooster all breeding in controlled breeding pens and egg collection areas

I used 1"x2" welded wire fencing and around the bottom have 2' of chicken wire. Here we don't have any critters that can get through the 1"x2" wire except maybe a rat or snakes. Luckily I haven't been bothered by snakes. I saw a rat once in a nest box but never again :fl. I had a couple of snakes that got electrocuted by the electric wire that goes around my coops and pens when their tails were on the ground and their bodies crossed the electric wire then trying to crawl through the chicken wire, they were fried. Once a Rat snake was wrapped around but not in a single nest box that I persuaded to leave and have not seen it since. :fl Good luck and have fun.
my buckeye hens and rooster are mouse catchers thats why I have so many in my flock

Back
Top Bottom