Parentage and egg color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aamanda, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Im just wondering if the rooster or the hen dictates the color of the egg offspring will lay?
    I have a RIR (hatchery) over Easter egger pullet and was wondering if there was any way I could know what color eggs I will get lol.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For the most part, the MANY genes that determine egg colour are autosomal. There are a few that are sex-linked, but with so many genes, that really plays a minor role.

Brown eggs are created by a wash of brown pigment overlaying a white eggshell. Blue eggs have a blue eggshell, not a white one. Brown wash plus blue eggshell = green eggs.

Now that is for the OFFSPRING of the pair you mentioned. The rooster has NO bearing over the colour of eggs laid by a hen/pullet he did not father; only HER parents determine that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Exactly. If your EE lays blue eggs, you'll get green eggs from her offspring. If she lays green eggs, you'll have some offspring that lay brown eggs and some that lay a muddy green.

4. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Ok. The mother laid a kinda teal green egg. So if I understand correctly the pullet from them will lay a teal egg with a brown wash or a brown egg? And thank you both for your answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by