Parents all over again

jay7deb

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
:
yippiechickie.gif
Hey Everybody @ BYC very nice to meet y'all :+). We are retired, kids on their own w/children, now what do we do with ourselves??? We have become home bodies but didn't want to become couch potatoes! We received a BYC pamphlet in the mail and that's how our little family grew BIGGER :+) 12x BIGGER! First we did our reading info then looked at oh bout 1,000 ways to build a coop. My hubby being as creative as he is took a little from this idea and that idea sat down and drew out the plans to build our coop :+). Coop is built then we read up on all breeds of chickens. We live in a snowbelt area so we knew we needed chickens to withstand cold weather, WHO KNEW THERE WERE SOOO MANY...Not us
th.gif
.Last Saturday before Easter our little fluff balls FINALLY arrived and quite dehydrated and I was determined they were all going to live. I looked up how to make electrolytes and sat up all night (Sat & Sun) and repeatedly gave each one a sip off of a spoon until they could drink from the waterer (with electrolytes) and to help things along I dipped their feet in diluted electrolyte water. By the grace of GOD today is Wednesday and our 12 new fluff balls are doing great!! I think tonight I can actually get some sleep. I have been getting up every 2 hours since Monday checking temps, water & feed. Our chickies are eating, drinking, jumping, running ,pooping,& starting to attempt to fly. When we walk into the room now they all look up at us and we have managed to get 2 to sit on our hands. Hubby says "I must be CRAZY it like having our children all over again"... "I ALMOST got away from raising babies"!!! To see his face when he is taking care of them or just lov'n up on them he know its all worth it.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Wow, you saved the day with getting them all back hydrated! Dehydration is a big killer of babies and causes pasty butt too. But you were right there taking good care of them! And as Kelsie says, they are going to be one spoiled flock! Don't feel bad, my chickens are so spoiled, they have no idea they ARE chickens!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hi gander 007,
I did post a couple of days ago when I posted 4 picx but I must of done something wrong (me??? go figure) I do have a question about my amberlings 1x week old now, they seem to be pulling their feathers out on tail and what I would call their shoulders. I did the flash light and dark night to see if they had mites or lice I couldn't see squat...Really worried .

jay7deb 4/26/14 at 9:33amDeleteHi Girls I was very happy to hear from y'all. Sorry bout not getting pics up sooner. I know they aren't good but I won't shut off the red light. Yes dehydration does lead to pastie butt and we all got threw it and I thought my babies would hate me by the time I got them all clean. They notice daddy & mommy coming in the room and all want attention hehehe. My Elva the one on the perch was first to greet us then all 11 followed her after that. Now they are nipple trained( aren't those laser lights great to train with?) that's what I have been doing for the last 2 days because I really worried I wouldn't get to the water bowl before 1 of them drank poop water. They are all trying to fly, can't wait for the weather here to get warmer so we can put them in their playpen daddy built for them, it has taken awhile for Northeast Ohio to get warmer this year (COLD<COLD winter).I do love the BYC info center this is how I am getting my answers to questions. God Bless All.
Well I found my mistake I put this Thread in default!!!
hmm.png
I changed my Avatar it's "MY ELVA" she is picking/pecking and pulling her feathers out. I looked at her in the dark with a flash light but found nothing. It is just her and her sister Peaches that are doing this. Please share any info y'all might have to help her and Peaches. Thank You all in advance for your help.

Hi gander 007,
I did post a couple of days ago when I posted 4 picx but I must of done something wrong (me??? go figure) I do have a question about my amberlings 1x week old now, they seem to be pulling their feathers out on tail and what I would call their shoulders. I did the flash light and dark night to see if they had mites or lice I couldn't see squat...Really worried .

Oh jay7deb if you hit the Quote button it jumps out right at me and I see I have mail ......

That is normal as it is only down not feathers as of yet ...

Do you have photos of your brooder ????

To post photos first bring up a new Post and then look up at the top of your post box and find the happy face and to the left of that you will find something that looks like a photo of mountains and tap that next in the upper left hand corner you will see add new photos tap that and follow the directions ..

Back
Top Bottom