Parrot food for chickens?

honeychile

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
A friend gave me a new, full bag of parrot food in a pelleted form, hoping I could use it for my hens so that it doesn't go to waste. I don't plan on replacing my hens' regular layer feed, but wonder if there's anything in this that would preclude using it as a treat. Here's what's in it:

ground corn, soybean meal, cracked wheat, wheat germ meal, vegetable oil, sucrose, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, iodized salt, DL-methionine, choline chloride, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, citric acid, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin K supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, thiamine, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin

I appreciate your input..

honeychile

A few years ago I adopted a flock of chickens from a lady that past away.She raised exotic birds an had hundreds of them. Well come to find out she had been feeding her chickens just parrot and exotic bird food. They were some of the most beautifully feathered and plump birds I ever saw. That was about 3 years ago and I still have many of those hens today ;)
Since you are not planning on making it a regular diet I dont see any reason it wouldnt be fine. I often mix other bird feeds into my treat mixes that I give my girls .

Back
Top Bottom