Parrots and Coturnix together

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Linda in San Diego, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    We have some non breeding conures in an outdoor aviary. They, like the rest of our parrots, have a lot of waste with their feed. We would like to put some quail in there to feed off the bottom of the flight cage. Has anyone tried that? Can the quail process the sunflower/safflower seeds? Of course they will be suplemented, but we are just thinking of ways to maximize what we already have going on.

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I could be wrong... but from what I've gathered, they are popular for putting in the bottom of aviaries. I plan to put mine with my future pigeons... unless someone tells me otherwise [​IMG]

3. First To Hatch

First To Hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    New York
    I believe buttons are ground-dwellers meaning they like to stay at the bottom of the avairy, I dont reccomend getting bobwhites or cortunix quail. I think buttons lay an egg everyday so you'll have to collect them. Someone told me butttons multiply like rats.

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Whoops...yup, I had the two confused... my bad. It's Button Quail I am thinking of.

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I got me 10 button babies just waiting to go into the parakeet aviary (4'x8'x7ft tall) when they get a bit older.

They are SOOOO cute! I'm hoping they will eat the spillage from the parakeets too.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... Buttons are good for that. They lay the prettiest eggs, too. HOPING they multiply like rats!!! LOL! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by