Part-frizzle Seramas?

Viergacht

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
I think my two serama chickens are part frizzle - their feathers don't curl, but they have a very soft, almost ostrich-plume texture completely unlike the big hens. I don't have the breeder's email so I can't ask any more, but I don't recall them saying anything about the parents being frizzle textured. Just wondering if

a. Does anyone else have part frizzles or know what this texture is?
b. Would it be safe for them to breed? Otherwise I'm going to have to seperate them soon.

I think my two serama chickens are part frizzle - their feathers don't curl, but they have a very soft, almost ostrich-plume texture completely unlike the big hens. I don't have the breeder's email so I can't ask any more, but I don't recall them saying anything about the parents being frizzle textured. Just wondering if

a. Does anyone else have part frizzles or know what this texture is?
b. Would it be safe for them to breed? Otherwise I'm going to have to seperate them soon.
It is in impossible to have part frizzles. The frizzle gene is incomplete dominant and cause health problems when a chicken has two frizzle genes, normal frizzles only have one frizzle gene and should only be bred to none frizzles. Could you have silkie feathering maybe? Pictures would help

In my experience, sometimes the feathers are slow to mature so to speak. They need some time to grow in frizzled OR they are just scruffy looking chicks. Some look gangly and rough when coming of age. The feathers may lay flat and he or she may become a smooth bird.

I do know what you’re asking. I’ve had chicks like this. As they grow they become all smooth or really frizzled. On occasion I’ve had a mildly frizzled adult where the feathers don’t curl back towards the head as much as they should. You wouldn’t want to breed this bird.

Good luck. Let us know!

Back
Top Bottom