Partial crop blockage??

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I started a thread yesterday about my buff Orpington mouth breathing. I thought it was a soft egg but it turns out it’s her crop. I checked her last night and it was full and spongy. This morning it was much smaller but I could feel fluid and seeds. She had a very small poop this morning (yesterday it was only urine). She is up and scratching in the dirt. She is alert and hungry but I can already tell she is lighter in weight. I massaged her crop and she didn’t act like it hurt. Will this resolve itself if it’s only partially blocked? I did feed her a boiled egg covered in olive oil this morning but she only took a couple bites. I massaged her afterwards.

I had a chick with a blockage that took today's to get rid of.

Have any coconut oil you can give her, it'll slicken the crop, & allow the blockage to move down into the stomach while you massage her crop.

Some extra grit should help break it up too.

I had a chick with a blockage that took today's to get rid of.

Have any coconut oil you can give her, it'll slicken the crop, & allow the blockage to move down into the stomach while you massage her crop.

Some extra grit should help break it up too.
Thank you for responding:)
I only tried the olive oil. She won’t take the grit. She was in the laying box a few minutes ago.... please tell me that’s a good sign? Did your chicken lose weight?

Thank you for responding:)
I only tried the olive oil. She won’t take the grit. She was in the laying box a few minutes ago.... please tell me that’s a good sign? Did your chicken lose weight?
Yes.

This is how his crop was even with blockage removed.
16045002003355485800866675214967.jpg
I tried for 4 days to get the food down, then I decided to ask for some extra help.

If she hasn't laid an egg yet today, then I'd say it's normal.

The coconut oil helped with yours? How did you resolve it?
I gave him lots of coconut oil chunks, & crop massages. Took 2 days to get rid of the blockage.

After the blockage was gone I continued with coconut oil, & crop massages, but the crop refused to go down in size.
I would monitor him, & his crop was functioning. I saw the crops movements. It was just working really slow. He was drink lots of water which does help alittle bit.

I was told to give him extra grit, continue with the coconut oil, & crop massages. Finally the last day I was able to get his crop half way down, which I was happy about. His crop was empty by morning which was awesome. He had quite the stomach ache though.

I gave him lots of coconut oil chunks, & crop massages. Took 2 days to get rid of the blockage.

After the blockage was gone I continued with coconut oil, & crop massages, but the crop refused to go down in size.
I would monitor him, & his crop was functioning. I saw the crops movements. It was just working really slow. He was drink lots of water which does help alittle bit.

I was told to give him extra grit, continue with the coconut oil, & crop massages. Finally the last day I was able to get his crop half way down, which I was happy about. His crop was empty by morning which was awesome. He had quite the stomach ache though.
Thank you for this encouraging post. I have hope that she will be just fine. I watch my flock so carefully and try so hard to keep them safe and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom