Partial crop blockage??

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I started a thread yesterday about my buff Orpington mouth breathing. I thought it was a soft egg but it turns out it’s her crop. I checked her last night and it was full and spongy. This morning it was much smaller but I could feel fluid and seeds. She had a very small poop this morning (yesterday it was only urine). She is up and scratching in the dirt. She is alert and hungry but I can already tell she is lighter in weight. I massaged her crop and she didn’t act like it hurt. Will this resolve itself if it’s only partially blocked? I did feed her a boiled egg covered in olive oil this morning but she only took a couple bites. I massaged her afterwards.

I had a chick with a blockage that took today's to get rid of.

Have any coconut oil you can give her, it'll slicken the crop, & allow the blockage to move down into the stomach while you massage her crop.

Some extra grit should help break it up too.
Thank you for responding:)
I only tried the olive oil. She won’t take the grit. She was in the laying box a few minutes ago.... please tell me that’s a good sign? Did your chicken lose weight?

I gave him lots of coconut oil chunks, & crop massages. Took 2 days to get rid of the blockage.

After the blockage was gone I continued with coconut oil, & crop massages, but the crop refused to go down in size.
I would monitor him, & his crop was functioning. I saw the crops movements. It was just working really slow. He was drink lots of water which does help alittle bit.

I was told to give him extra grit, continue with the coconut oil, & crop massages. Finally the last day I was able to get his crop half way down, which I was happy about. His crop was empty by morning which was awesome. He had quite the stomach ache though.
Thank you for this encouraging post. I have hope that she will be just fine. I watch my flock so carefully and try so hard to keep them safe and healthy.

Attachments

• 737F5020-26CF-4F2C-970D-961D7338404F.jpeg
    737F5020-26CF-4F2C-970D-961D7338404F.jpeg
    732.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom