Partially covered run— best litter method

Pics

ChickenMamaC

Songster
5 Years
Jun 6, 2018
Rose Valley, WA
i thought I’d try deep litter in the run, but after huge thunderstorms rolled through yesterday afternoon, the pine shavings were SOAKED on the unroofed portion of the run and damp from blowing rain on the covered portion.

We have sunny, dry weather the majority of the year but we do have some monsoon activity in July and sometimes snow in the winter. Should I continue with deep litter knowing during those times it may not work as well?

Also, in my coop, there’s no good way to add a poop board or hammock, so I’m thinking of switching to sand and PDZ, which I can just scoop daily. Are there any significant drawbacks to this?

Thanks for always helping this chicken newbie out with suggestions!

Last edited:
Do you mean deep litter in the run? You said coop....

I’m not a fan but many will tell you the benefits of deep litter I got mould in mine and switched coop and run to sand . I love it!! Drys fast , cleans easy with car litter scoop , hens nails are nice , the dust bathe in it , no smell , soft on feet no branches stuck in my shoes .... you’re going to get many opinions but at the end of the day you’ll be the one scooping the poop !! Good luck and remember to have fun

I personally use shavings in the coop and straw in the run. The deep lotter method does not work for me And I don’t use sand because my ran is just too large and I don’t know how I would get rid of it to switch it out once a year. LOL it’s a lot of sand. I’ve heard both methods are great but only depending on where you live and your conditions. Deep litter works great for some areas and not for others same with sand. I think deep litter didn’t work for me because I only get certain light back there for about half of the day so I too was getting mold.

I have shaving in my coops every once in a great while the rain will come from a certain direction and get the shaving wet by the door but they dry out fast with the ventilation. If I see rain coming I usually close the screens on the doors of the coops. There also is usually plenty of sand in with the shavings because the birds track it in.

I personally use shavings in the coop and straw in the run. The deep lotter method does not work for me And I don’t use sand because my ran is just too large and I don’t know how I would get rid of it to switch it out once a year. LOL it’s a lot of sand. I’ve heard both methods are great but only depending on where you live and your conditions. Deep litter works great for some areas and not for others same with sand. I think deep litter didn’t work for me because I only get certain light back there for about half of the day so I too was getting mold.
How do you keep your run clean with the straw? How often do you have to rake it all out?

Never thought about draw in the run.....
To bad allergic to hay and straw. I tried the straw in the the coop and sneezing and welts bad time.....:he

Oh well if you’re allergic to probably definitely isn’t a good option for you. I’m sure it depends on the grass but it’s really hard to tell what kind of grass you’re allergic to. My daughter has a hard time helping us clean the run because every time she touches straw or hey or skin gets all red and itchy

I probably have to rake it out more often then I would using something else as bedding but with shavings would just get soaked and gross. Depending on whether we have a rainy week or if they happen to be in there run without free ranging for a day or two. Every 2 to 3 weeks or so. I remove big stuff when I see it but they are free ranging most of the day every day. Unless it’s raining or something they’re really only inside there in the morning and then after Sun goes down which is bedtime. It might be more difficult if they didn’t free range all day

Back
Top Bottom