Partialy Impacted Gizzard or infection suggestions?

dough13

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 8, 2014
Hi I have been a long time reader of BYC very valuable info .
I am having trouble with one of my chickens she is approx 3 years old . The first thing i noticed was she was standing alone and not very energetic I looked her over and noticed a swollen crop ( BTW i know the difference between a crop and gizzard =) ) anyways It felt like a blown up balloon but it was watery sounding I gently massaged and squeezed her crop and some nasty black watery goo came out and she went back to eating the next day it was the same and I squeezed some more black goo out. I separated her from the others and I suspected a partially blocked gizzard or a sour crop that may have caused an infection . She was pooping yellowish watery nasty smelling poop as well. I had another hen die approx 6 months earlier before I realized what was going on and the necropsy I did showed a piece of crushed peach pit lodged in the gizzard.

She was still drinking at first but she slowed down drinking and eating now she has lost most of her mass and is wobbly and weak and her comb listed to the side. I believe she is still eating a tiny bit and drinking very little and i am force feeding her "super booster" antibiotic mix with vitamins and some blended liquified eggs mixed with the antibiotic water. Her poop was yellowish and watery but its not still watery but brown.
She has been this way for approx 3 weeks and has been on the antibiotic water for 3 days with a tiny bit of improvement I'm not sure how she is still living and i have been thinking of putting her out of her misery.

Things I have tried:
At first when she was eating i fed her Vaseline/olive oil on bread.
Massaging crop and trying to massage gizzard (i believe i can feel the gizzard or some sort of hard mass if its not the gizzard she is just that skinny)
Force feeding Antibiotic vitamin water and Liquified eggs for the last few days.
Force feed mineral oil which caused her to poop a lot of watery poop.
warm bath and heat lamp.

I am noticing a very tiny improvement as she ate a few pieces of damp crushed up crackers and a little bit of cut up baloney but not enough to make a difference.

I do not suspect her to have worms but it has crossed my mind , I have never noticed any odd worm like things in her poop or the other hens poop but they do eat bugs and grass and are outside of the cage foraging quite often but it has been cold so no bugs were available or not many .

If anyone can suggest something else for me to try or give a diagnosis that would be great other than being weak, skinny and her comb to the side she looks normal her eyes dont look different or any mucus in her nose or anything and none of my other hens seem sick. I believe if she doesn't improve within the next couple of days I will have to put her down as she has suffered longer than she should have.

Welcome to BYC. I'm not an expert on crop issues, but I would guess that she may have had an impacted crop that has become sour crop with a bacterial or fungal infection. What antibiotic are you treating her with? Sour crop is hard to treat, and since she has lost weight, I would doubt that she can survive without a vet's help. I just necropsied a chicken of mine that had an impacted gizzard (with sunflower seed hulls), and found her gizzard to be black and dead. But her crop was empty and flat. For sour crop the best I know to do is give lots of water, massage, give yogurt or buttermilk for probiotics, and either give an antibiotic or an antifungal depending on whichever you think it is. Offering raw or lightly scrambled egg for protein may tempt her to eat. I wish I had more to add, but if you have a vet who would see her, it may be best.

Welcome to BYC. I'm not an expert on crop issues, but I would guess that she may have had an impacted crop that has become sour crop with a bacterial or fungal infection. What antibiotic are you treating her with? Sour crop is hard to treat, and since she has lost weight, I would doubt that she can survive without a vet's help. I just necropsied a chicken of mine that had an impacted gizzard (with sunflower seed hulls), and found her gizzard to be black and dead. But her crop was empty and flat. For sour crop the best I know to do is give lots of water, massage, give yogurt or buttermilk for probiotics, and either give an antibiotic or an antifungal depending on whichever you think it is. Offering raw or lightly scrambled egg for protein may tempt her to eat. I wish I had more to add, but if you have a vet who would see her, it may be best.
The antibiotic i am using is called "super booster" it has vitamins as well I believe this is it.. http://www.drugs.com/vet/super-booster-can.html unfortunately there are no local vets that know anything about chickens or birds ( I probably know more than them from reading this site lol) .

I am thinking if her gizzard is blocked or partially blocked with a seed or something all of the Vaseline and mineral oil, olive oil i gave her hasn't worked but made her poo a lot i also suspect a gizzard impaction because when i massage the back end of her she strains like shes trying to get something to move.. if she was egg bound wouldn't she be dead in less than 3 weeks? The chicken hasn't been eating anything solid for approx 2 weeks.

The only noticeable difference is that the poop isnt watery yellow anymore it is brown and watery If there is something still blocking the gizzard then it could be a metal shard such as a staple or something of that nature that has almost zero chance of dislodging. I have also been feeling stones in the crop the whole time i have been massaging the crop but she has had no access to stones or anything hard for over 2 weeks.the stones are free moving and not gobbed together with gunk. I even tried using an electric sander to try and vibrate whatever may possibly be blocking the gizzard free but to no avail (it never sanded the chickens feathers off or hurt the chicken =) ).

I am not sure what other causes could cause her crop to back up and turn sour I suppose she could have cancer or something. I do believe the prognosis is grim its been too long without much improvement so it may be about time to put her down i am thinking.

I replied with a big writeup but it had a link to the antibiotic meds I am using and it said it was going to be moderated b4 posting i wish i could have copy/pasted it without the link b4 it dissapeared lol. But anyways i was reading about using monistat 3 to possibly clear up any possible fungal infection i could not get monostat but i could get Canesten cream I am trying that as a last resort and using 0.5 ml of the cream per dosage (not sure how much to use or how often to give it) If anyone else has any additional suggestions that would be great.

If you can get canesoral, it contains fluconazole which is a great antifungal. Nystatin or medistatin is also used for sour crop or yeast infections of the crop. Medistatin and canesoral are both available online. Be sure she has probiotics too. Here are a couple of links about crop problems:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

Thanks for the info i may try to find the canesoral , i have been giving .5 ml of the Canesten cream 3x a day for 2 days and the antibiotic vitamin water and some liquified eggs for the last 4 or 5 days with little to no improvement not to mention all of the mineral,olive oil and Vaseline so the outlook looks grim. I am not sure if yeast infections keep food from going through or not she is pooping but not a lot and its still watery and those little stones are still in her crop and have been there for probably over 2 weeks and she has no access to anything but mushy food. and some water maybe i started the canesten too late i am still thinking there is something in her that will not move like a metal shard etc.

Fluconazole is what I would use to treat a yeast infection.

-Kathy
I am sad to say i just went to check on her and the chicken was dead RIP, I still believe she was blocked up somewhere I think I plan to do a necropsy to find out , I did one before but i am by no means a pro at it but i did find the cause which helped me.. Thanks for the help and info it will be good for any future problems I am going to try and order the proper meds online before hand so that I can treat them properly next time any of them have problems..

Back
Top Bottom