1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

partridge and blue partridge orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by orpington man, Feb 17, 2012.

1. orpington man

orpington man Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    PARTRIDGE AND BLUE PARTRIDGE[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. AnimalCrazed

AnimalCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Idaho
    WOW!! I love those beautiful birds![​IMG]
    Your roosters are so sweet... i'm a sucker for blue!

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Why are the roosters showing so much color in their breast? it should be black not red

4. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa

why would it be black if they are blue partridge? asking because I seriously do not know anything about genetics.

Orpingtonman that is what I will try to get out of mine that you saw on the other thread, very nice birds!

5. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Beautiful!

6. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    I asked why are they Red instead of Black/blue?

7. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I NEED some of those partridges.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa

your quote is right above, you said "it should be black not red" if its a blue bird would not its chest be blue not black? I

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    you are right.. you don´t know much about genetics.. Black/Blue is the same thing.. there should not be pheomelanin(red pigmented feathers) in the boys chest... Black and Blue are concidered Eumelanin(black pigment, in the case of blue, the Bl dilutes black to blue)

10. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa

and you dont know very much about etiquette ... regardless of what dilutes what, a blue bird is a blue bird. a blue orp is blue not black when you look at it right? if its a blue partridge it will have a blue chest, not a black chest because then it would no longer be a blue bird. it would be a black bird. throw out the Bl stuff. if its blue partridge it will have a blue chest, yes I am aware your pointing out red leakage, I think I have seen you do that on other pics too. leakage or not, its still a blue bird not a black one. right? thats what I was asking

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by